General Category > General Discussion

New category needed?

(1/3) > >>

BrianH:
In many threads on here the often heard refrain of Common Sence is uttered loud and clear but surely even common sense needs a trigger to get us thinking along the right lines. This forum doesn't currently have a place to offer these triggers or other safety based hints and tips to other readers. I wonder how many agree that a new category would be invaluable (a thread will soon be lost among the ever growing list).

I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting that turners should train themselves to never turn a dead lathe by hand by grabbing the chuck. Otherwise, at some point a drill or grinder based operation will slip and put the chuck hand in imminent danger. Always keep the headstock between the turning hand and any cutting/grinding tool.
Brian

Twisted Trees:
Nope sorry read that 3 times and can't make sense of it! Probably why common sense is best left in the abstract not in words....  ::)

Derek:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on January 04, 2022, 10:59:24 AM ---Nope sorry read that 3 times and can't make sense of it! Probably why common sense is best left in the abstract not in words....  ::)

--- End quote ---

I think what is being said is that when using either a drill or grinding type machine free hand to decorate or similar the item that is mounted in the chuck where if you slip could force the tool into the hand on the chuck.
Well that is how I read it but could be wrong

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on January 04, 2022, 10:59:24 AM ---Nope sorry read that 3 times and can't make sense of it! Probably why common sense is best left in the abstract not in words....  ::)

--- End quote ---

Yes, same here. It perhaps also proves that common Sense is not that common?!  ;D

Lennie:
Oh for goodness sake, where will it end, you can't make tools or machinery idiot proof unfortunately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version