Author Topic: New category needed?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
New category needed?
« on: January 04, 2022, 09:49:17 AM »
In many threads on here the often heard refrain of Common Sence is uttered loud and clear but surely even common sense needs a trigger to get us thinking along the right lines. This forum doesn't currently have a place to offer these triggers or other safety based hints and tips to other readers. I wonder how many agree that a new category would be invaluable (a thread will soon be lost among the ever growing list).

I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting that turners should train themselves to never turn a dead lathe by hand by grabbing the chuck. Otherwise, at some point a drill or grinder based operation will slip and put the chuck hand in imminent danger. Always keep the headstock between the turning hand and any cutting/grinding tool.
Brian

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: New category needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 10:59:24 AM »
Nope sorry read that 3 times and can't make sense of it! Probably why common sense is best left in the abstract not in words....  ::)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 01:02:05 PM »
Nope sorry read that 3 times and can't make sense of it! Probably why common sense is best left in the abstract not in words....  ::)

I think what is being said is that when using either a drill or grinding type machine free hand to decorate or similar the item that is mounted in the chuck where if you slip could force the tool into the hand on the chuck.
Well that is how I read it but could be wrong

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 02:54:44 PM »

Yes, same here. It perhaps also proves that common Sense is not that common?!  ;D

Offline Lennie

• iron
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 04:30:05 PM »
Oh for goodness sake, where will it end, you can't make tools or machinery idiot proof unfortunately.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 05:06:59 PM »
Common sense

Offline Lennie

• iron
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 05:50:34 PM »
Brilliant😁😁

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 05:06:35 PM »
All very amusing but unfortutnately it woud not stand up in a court of law. The law has no sense of humour.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 07:55:21 PM »
All very amusing but unfortutnately it woud not stand up in a court of law. The law has no sense of humour.

I remember many years ago that the law changed. It said in a nutshell that you can put up as many notices as you like absolving you of blame but a court of law will decide whether you’re at fault or not!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 08:49:46 AM »
I have a similar notice in the door of my workshop. As John says has no legal power but does make people stop and smile then think.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 10:20:26 AM »
I have a Startright Branded Spindle Molder which was manufactured in Eastern Europe, the first line in the instructions is :- " only people with a normal brain should use this machine" !  :o

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 12:57:11 PM »
I have to say though that over the years attitudes to H&S have changed, In my early 20's I caught 4 fingers on the surface planer and the comments from the old boys then was "now you are a proper machinist"!! I have to say that I have never had another accident as I am extremely careful, it only takes a split second.