General Category > General Discussion

Grain Filler

<< < (3/3)

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on February 03, 2022, 12:41:41 AM ---Look at it this way - if you are applying a grain filler whether it's wax, paint or anything else the objective is to colour the pores in the wood but not the rest of the surface so you would use a sealer which would allow the excess filler to be removed from the surface without colouring it

--- End quote ---

This is the “normal” approach. I started this thread though because in a video I saw recently Black grain filler was applied directly to bare wood. The effect seemed much better than usual. I suspect because using sealer first actually fills some of the grain before the filler can get in. Wiping off the excess filler didn’t seem to cause any problems and I couldn’t see any “staining”, just nicely filled pores.

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on February 03, 2022, 11:07:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on February 03, 2022, 12:41:41 AM ---Look at it this way - if you are applying a grain filler whether it's wax, paint or anything else the objective is to colour the pores in the wood but not the rest of the surface so you would use a sealer which would allow the excess filler to be removed from the surface without colouring it

--- End quote ---

This is the “normal” approach. I started this thread though because in a video I saw recently Black grain filler was applied directly to bare wood. The effect seemed much better than usual. I suspect because using sealer first actually fills some of the grain before the filler can get in. Wiping off the excess filler didn’t seem to cause any problems and I couldn’t see any “staining”, just nicely filled pores.

--- End quote ---

As I said above "Obviously generally, general rules are for breaking"

It will depend on many factors what wood? What humidity is the workshop? How does that compare to the moisture level in the blank? What was the sanding level? Was it burnished?

One of the nice things with working with an organic medium is experimentation is constant. 

Bill21:
Ash, seasoned.

Paul Hannaby:
Before starting you have to remember to take Paul's law into account -

The complexity of any process is proportional to the cube of the number of people involved in defining the process

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version