General Category > General Discussion

Vicmarc VM120 Jaw Screw size?

<< < (3/3)

Bill21:

--- Quote from: yew turn on February 07, 2022, 09:04:46 PM ---Just for more info regarding the tensile strengths of fasteners:-

8.8 grade -  hexagon high tensile setscrews
10.9 grade - socket countersunk screws
12.9 grade - socket cap screws

Hope this helps.

--- End quote ---

Tensile strength doesn’t seem to be fastener shape dependent.
C/S for example are available in 10.9, 12.9 and possibly others?

Bill21:
Dragging up an old thread (pun intended) I know but I’ve recently seen some jaws screws that appear to be made from stainless steel. Stainless fasteners are commonly made in A2 or A4 steel and I suspect the shear strength of an M6 screw in either of these materials would be more than strong enough for our use? I’ve also noticed some of the screws supplied for my jaws don’t have grade markings on them.  ;)

Goldfinger234:
Just an addition to the stainless post. Stainless steel is soft, hence it’s easy to round stainless wood screws with an impact driver, much easier than normal screws. Also, the main drawback of stainless is it galls, or seizes in place, so it’s a must to use something like copper slip unless the bolts are being removed regularly. When they stick, you inevitably snap them with the force required to move them, or round them off. Unless your chuck is to be used underwater, I’d stay clear of stainless bolts, just like the manufacturers do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version