General Category > General Discussion

New member…. Help please…

<< < (2/2)

Tappers:
Thanks for the replies.

I note your comments and will concentrate on tool technique and sharpening and then sanding the lower grits first.

I wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to do I just could seem to get rid of it with the lower grits but I thought/feared it was a sanding issue more than tooling but honestly wasn’t sure.

I have not long completed my 3rd bowl and have an issue with this that again I thought was down to sanding but not 100% sure. There are black/dark lines with the grain at the bottom edge of the bowl in the attached picture.

I don’t recall seeing this before sanding/oiling so could it be tooling/sanding technique or something else?

Thank you again for any advice.

Wood spinner:
Looks like it my be spalting where the wood starts to decay as it is dead , Some heavier spalting can look really appealing .

Bill21:
It looks like Plane, some of the stuff I’ve recently turned had grey staining in it.

It’s very tempting to just sand the piece only whilst it’s rotating on the lathe but I always try to finish sand with the grain direction once it’s off the lathe.

Derek:
Something also to add to some of the answers is that looking at the right hand bowl the ring marks could also be bruising of the wood due to rubbing the bevel too hard, You only need to rub the bevel gently.
The only way to get rid of these is the same as tear out mentioned above is to make sure the tool is sharp and take light cuts

Don't be afraid to sharpen little and often and always a good idea to do this for the final cuts

Tappers:
Thanks again for the replies.

I have noticed that sometimes I have been holding the chisel too hard and when I relaxed it was easier.

I will also make sure all tools are sharp first.

With regards the 3rd bowl, I wasn’t sure if the dark marks were as result of a sanding error as don’t recall them before, e.g. did I build up too much heat.

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version