Author Topic: Starting with an electric drill lathe attachment.  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• iron
Starting with an electric drill lathe attachment.
« on: March 02, 2022, 06:26:53 PM »
Hi there, I'm retired, on state pension so not a lot of money. I have little experience of woodturning since doing at school. I want to start turning bowls on a benchtop Black and Decker electric drill adaptor lathe as I have very little space. I'm having a problem understanding which chuck to go for. I need one that has a spindle to fit in the drill chuck or a thread to fit in the drill body. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Starting with an electric drill lathe attachment.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 06:43:15 PM »
Hello and welcome
My opinion is that you will struggle to turn bowls of any size using a drill as a motor
Also drills are only designed to run for small periods of time
If you spend money buying bits for a drill lathe it may be waisted

Advice would be take your time , save some extra money then look at the used options

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 07:03:00 PM »
To be blunt, don't try it. I had a go with one many years ago and they are not safe.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 08:23:35 PM »
I agree with the earlier sentiments. If you do decide to save for a lathe please let us know before buying anything as there are some rather dubious products offered for sale to the unwary.

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 10:32:28 PM »
Hi there, I'm retired, on state pension so not a lot of money. I have little experience of woodturning since doing at school. I want to start turning bowls on a benchtop Black and Decker electric drill adaptor lathe as I have very little space. I'm having a problem understanding which chuck to go for. I need one that has a spindle to fit in the drill chuck or a thread to fit in the drill body. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure that this is the way to go. I had one many, many moons ago, but gave up because of the noise. They are really only suitable for small spindle work, and that I think is pushing them. Bear in mind that most quality chucks are heavy and with the weight of a blank, I'm not sure the drills bearings would last long. Most drills are fixed speed and I would suggest too fast for bowl turning.

Something you could consider is joining the AWGB, and consider applying for a grant, or loan equipment. If you go to the https://www.awgb.co.uk/members-benefits/ there are details of what we will consider. Scroll right down to the general comments bit, where we indicate the sort of thing we can offer.

I think that this would be a far safer entry into the wood turning world, and less frustrating. If you find that wood turning is not for you then the equipment can be returned. All for £18!

If you would like to discuss this off line then contact me at membership@awgb.co.uk - just mention this thread, as things are rather hectic at the moment.

John

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 03:02:44 PM »
As above, a drill is not the same as a lathe, I would recommend you start here https://www.awgb.co.uk/club-map/ find a club you can get to and see what facilities are near you. First money spent in wood turning should be on a lesson where you can get an idea of what lathe / tools you need to achieve your turning goals, it will save a lot of waste down the line.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)