General Category > General Discussion

Club Meetings

(1/3) > >>

Bill21:
Are any of you are involved in the running of a wood turning club? How do you decide what demo’s and other things to present on a club night. Do you ever ask the membership what they want to see etc?

If you’re just a member of a club would/have you been asked what you’d like to see?

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Bill I am the chairman of my local club and apart from a short period when someone else took over I have been in the post since the club formed about 12 years ago. I see the decision about demonstrators from both sides of the coin because as a professional turner part of the way I earn my living is through demonstrations.
     At my club it is usually the committee that decides who we invite but we do take into consideration comments and suggestions from our members. Sometimes who we have is determined by how much they cost but other times it is by how good they are or how different they are. The AWGB demonstrator lists along with the lists on the RPT website are a valueable source of demonstrators. As a club we are lucky to have some very talented members and so we also get them to "do a turn" aswell.

Twisted Trees:
As a club member not on committee and not involved with much that the club does, I find that the monthly meetings consisting of a demonstration you can hardly see, with 10 minutes of finding a seat plus a 10 minute break makes the club very unfriendly and unwelcoming. I have been  a member for years and seldom bother to attend as despite being a member for years I know nobody and speak to nobody a nod and a hello while looking for a seat or queuing for the toilet does not make a welcoming atmosphere. I know this is partly my fault being a bit deaf in crowds doesn't make me a great socialite!

Each year when subs are called for I wonder why I bother, but I like the fact a club exists even if it is unwelcoming. So I pay up and determine to make more effort, but it hasn't worked yet. then I find out that events happen that I am unaware of, and I just stop going until the next time I determine to make an effort.

Demonstrations are good for the demonstrators circuit, but are poorly used to dissuade me and others I know from wanting to attend. A better balance of social and demonstrations is I understand a feature elsewhere.

Wood spinner:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on March 09, 2022, 12:57:22 AM ---As a club member not on committee and not involved with much that the club does, I find that the monthly meetings consisting of a demonstration you can hardly see, with 10 minutes of finding a seat plus a 10 minute break makes the club very unfriendly and unwelcoming. I have been  a member for years and seldom bother to attend as despite being a member for years I know nobody and speak to nobody a nod and a hello while looking for a seat or queuing for the toilet does not make a welcoming atmosphere. I know this is partly my fault being a bit deaf in crowds doesn't make me a great socialite!

Each year when subs are called for I wonder why I bother, but I like the fact a club exists even if it is unwelcoming. So I pay up and determine to make more effort, but it hasn't worked yet. then I find out that events happen that I am unaware of, and I just stop going until the next time I determine to make an effort.

Demonstrations are good for the demonstrators circuit, but are poorly used to dissuade me and others I know from wanting to attend. A better balance of social and demonstrations is I understand a feature elsewhere.

--- End quote ---

Blimey , So many negatives not sure I should bother replying ,But I will ,  Do you expect the Club to become part of you ? or should you become part of the Club ?
Re events you don't know about , Surely the Club sends members emails of a syllabus re Club events ? It's good that you support the Club by joining every year , Any Issues / suggestions you have send in a letter asking if these can be addressed , Keep your chin up and be positive is my advice ( for what it's worth )

bodrighywood:
Whilst none of us can expect every club meeting to be what we like your description is of a club that needs seriously looking at. I belong to the same club as John and have to say that there is always a great amount of work put into making the meetings as entertaining and instructive as possible. We have recently somehow attracted a number of new members. made efforts to be involved in various charities etc and despite the fact that, like many clubs. the average age is older than we'd like we do have an active membership.  Maybe a big sort out needed at yours T T

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version