General Category > For Sale / Wanted

Super Precision chuck for sale

<< < (2/4) > >>

Valkrider:

--- Quote from: Dave Brookes on March 22, 2022, 05:24:13 PM ---David, are you sure that is not a Versachuck as opposed to a Super Precision one?
Dave

--- End quote ---
Dave

My Versachuck does not have the indexing indents on the backplate but my Super Precision does so I think David is correct with the listing.

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Valkrider on March 23, 2022, 07:45:35 AM ---
My Versachuck does not have the indexing indents on the backplate.

--- End quote ---

Maybe it’s an old Versachuck. As far as I’m aware they’ve had indexing for some time:

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/toolpost-versachuck-wood-lathe-chucks/versachuck-wood-lathe-chuck-threaded-backplates

David Buskell:
Well, well ,well. We were all wrong.

The chuck is not a Versachuck
It is not an Axminster one either, at least the chuck is not.

How do I know this? The chuck is branded with the Bison logo and luckily the guy at Bison that I have just spoken to, advised me of the history behind their (Polish) firm and Axminster. They made two type of "Axminster" chucks with different backs. Some had no backing plate as these were supplied by Axminster. Couldn't make out what he was saying about the other type of plate. Axminster then moved production to China. Now we have the CNC plant at Axminster HQ making chucks.

This is the nearest equivilent today of the Precision chuck;

https://store.bison-chuck.com/uk/en/4-jaw-self-cent-scroll-chuck-3604-125.html

All Bison products have an eye watering price  so perhaps I had better put the price up!!

Might see if there is anyone at Axminster who was around a while back and may know the full story.

So, as far as the advert is concerned, you make your own decision based on the above.

I have two more chucks available, one with C jaws and the other O,Donnell. Both sets are the same price for each and threaded M33

Paul Hannaby:
The backplates vary a lot and are manufactured separately from the chucks so aren't a reliable way to identify the chuck.

However, only the Axminster chucks will take the Axminster jaw carriers. Versachuck scrolls are different so won't take the Axminster carriers.

The chucks with the gold labels are Bison brand, which I think is one of Toolmex's brand names.

David Buskell:
Paul,

Your view tallies with that of the guy at Bison who has been with the company for over 20 years.

They (Bison) made the chuck but not the backplates. Chucks were badged as Bison and possibly Axminster. My chucks will only accept Axminster jaw carriers.

The back plates on my chucks seem to be in accordance with the Bison man's memory and were possibly manufactured for/by Axminster prior to their move to manufacture in China.

Toolmex still make chucks and their range is made in Poland. Their back plates do not have indexing,according to the current photos.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version