General Category > General Discussion

Wood suppliers

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bill21:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on April 11, 2022, 12:40:32 PM ---Robinia would be a good substitute for the Hickory if you can't get it.

--- End quote ---

I believe Robinia is or was a popular choice for tool handles in Germany.

SimonGibson:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 11, 2022, 10:10:56 AM ---Perhaps Ash would be a suitable substitute for the Hickory?

--- End quote ---

Hi Bill21, Thank you but we have tried ash and it does not hold up to the impact they end up with a lot of dings in there weapons.

SimonGibson:

--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 11, 2022, 05:07:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: seventhdevil on April 11, 2022, 12:40:32 PM ---Robinia would be a good substitute for the Hickory if you can't get it.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

From checking the properties it does look a close match but then again where to get it becomes a problem.

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: SimonGibson on April 13, 2022, 08:55:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 11, 2022, 05:07:54 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

From checking the properties it does look a close match but then again where to get it becomes a problem.

--- End quote ---

Yandles supply that too.

https://www.yandles.co.uk/acacia-kd-european-woodturning-blanks/p26537

i'm sure you could talk to them about getting the sizes you require...

Bill21:

--- Quote from: SimonGibson on April 13, 2022, 08:48:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bill21 on April 11, 2022, 10:10:56 AM ---Perhaps Ash would be a suitable substitute for the Hickory?

--- End quote ---

Hi Bill21, Thank you but we have tried ash and it does not hold up to the impact they end up with a lot of dings in there weapons.

--- End quote ---

Given that Ash has been used on tool handles and other other items in this country for hundreds of years I have to wonder what they’re doing with these “weapons”.  ::)
A friend of mine used to go to Historical reenactments ( Cavaliers v Roundheads) and they used to use Ash for their Pikestaffs. Historically accurate, I don’t remember hearing about broken ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version