General Category > General Discussion

Preparing new wood

(1/3) > >>

Phil Fouracre:
Thought I’d come to the ‘font of all knowledge’🙂 for advice - just got into turning and have asked questions before and got fantastic advice, which is very much appreciated.
I’ve just had the opportunity to cut down a quince tree! and am cutting it up into manageable pieces for future work🤞
It appears to have been fairly abusively pruned, with knots and changes of direction of growth.
I’m cutting out the best looking sections of wood, but, also thinking I might experiment with the ‘knottier’ sections as well.
My question is - how is best to treat and store the individual pieces of wood to prevent cracking and any deterioration?
I was planning to just seal the ends with beeswax, but, am wondering if I should seal the whole ‘log’
Secondly should I prepare each piece by turning while green to ‘manageable’ pieces and then coat the whole of the surface?
I hope this makes sense
Phil

Paul Hannaby:
Seal all end grain to slow down drying which should in turn reduce the chance of cracking. With larger diameter sections, you can cut then lengthways to reduce the stress when drying.

Phil Fouracre:
Fantastic! Many thanks for prompt reply
I thought it was the case that it would dry ‘from the ends’ not through the bark, but, wasn’t sure what would be best.
That’s my job for today sorted!🙂

Wood spinner:
On average it takes 1 year per inch of thickness to dry naturally.

Phil Fouracre:
Does the bark stop the wood drying out ‘laterally’, if that’s the right word, so that’s why you only seal the ends?
If I roughly turn a piece to size, ie remove the bark, should I seal all of the piece?
One other question - as I’m only working with small pieces, what do people think about micro waving to reduce water content?
Thx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version