General Category > General Discussion

Sad woodturning death.

<< < (3/6) > >>

GBF:
I have taught a number of Joiners and to be honest they usually have very little experience of Turning.
Most have just enough knowledge to be dangerous and when they come for Tuition they are surprised how little they know
This is very sad but could give the impression that turning is dangerous and risky when actually it is not when proper precautions are taken.
This is why I always recommend Tuition Tuition Tuition with a good pro

Regards George

Paul Hannaby:
They always say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Accidents of this type but perhaps not so catastrophic are not uncommon so perhaps we should be making sure the inexperienced are aware that turning can be dangerous if the correct precautions are not taken rather than trying to convince them they are not at risk. Information on the correct "drill" could be made available and publicised to spread the word. I know some lathe manufacturers have some safety info in the manuals but how many lathes are out there which were long separated from the manual?

jay:
  How many people read the safety info that is even packed with button batteries  and plastic bags ?  I think we have become insensitive to it .Many just skip past that to the picture of the on /off switch . A bit of hands on instruction is priceless in my view . Having operated my own joinery shop till retirement I found that hands on instruction worked best for all machinery ,bench saws,spindle molders and lathes. Many times it is the 3 dimensional movements that cannot be adequately shown  in drawings ,words or even video   

Twisted Trees:
Just making the point that nowhere in the information available does it tell us that the person was not a skilled woodturner. Several posts saying it was inexperience / lack of training are making a huge assumption on no evidence at all.

Paul Hannaby:
In the nicest possible way, the experience level of the person who died in the accident is somewhat irrelevant because we can't change the past. However, if more people are, as George suggests, encouraged to seek tuition or the hazards and safety precautions are better publicised, we are able to change the future! Or to put it another way, those that know better but choose to take the risk only have themselves to blame but those who didn't know but now do, will be in a position to make the choice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version