General Category > General Discussion

A Contentious Issue?

(1/4) > >>

Bill21:
I saw this online the other day.

I’ve spent money on a dust extractor and an air filter in my shed to keep the level of wood dust down to a minimum.
The last thing I’d want to do (and I do have a blow gun and compressor) is to fill the air with dust by blowing out a hollow form.

It may be that this particular user is not doing that but perhaps uses it for some other reason? Although it does seem handily placed on its own hook for immediate use? Having said that I’ve read comments from at least one professional turner that does indeed do this.

I must be missing something as I’ve not experienced too much difficulty removing wood dust with a shop vac, it’s obviously much safer. Any thoughts? ;D

Wood spinner:
I agree totally , I use a Sundstrom sr500 system ALL the time I am in my workshop , Not just when turning and also do a lot of wet sanding to keep fine dust to a minimum.

jay:
   I have a blow gun just as handy by my lathes to empty hollow forms . However  I have drops from my 35cu/m per min dust collector behind each lathe  so any particulates that are airborne  vanish immediately. Downside is one cannot open the door when the collector is on  >:(  and with a vent open the  total workshop air changes in a few minutes . Looking at the photo above I see a convoluted hose behind the lathe so possibly some form of extraction is available when using  the blow gun 

Bourbon25:
not really ready for 'immediate use' It's not plugged into an air line.

jonas:
Not a speck  of dust visible in the photo so he must be doing something right.

jonas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version