General Category > General Discussion

Turning a Tenon

<< < (2/2)

seventhdevil:
i always thought the lip on C jaws was more to to with the retention of the screwchuck insert that went with it rather than the grip on the tenon?

i does both i know but it's fairly robust as a lip.

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on August 19, 2023, 03:25:10 PM ---i always thought the lip on C jaws was more to to with the retention of the screwchuck insert that went with it rather than the grip on the tenon?

i does both i know but it's fairly robust as a lip.

--- End quote ---

Pretty sure the lip is tougher than any wood I have, though you may be able to set it a challenge Steve  ;D

I think like a dovetail it stops sideways force on the piece of work from forcing it out of the jaws, but that is really only when you have a long piece in there without tailstock support, maybe a tall goblet or something similar. Pretty sure Colwyn Way has said somewhere not to cut a grove let the chuck do it, but I can't find that now.

Bill21:
Yes, I’m sure I saw it somewhere but I can’t find it now either, It may well have been Colwyn?
I think it’s a pretty secure looking design though either way. Far better than just a dovetail that some other manufacturers use.

Bill21:
As for recess rather than Tenon, I no longer do that. Our club demonstrator suggested that a Tenon offers more options for re-turning the foot than using a recess and I don’t turn platters so not much need for a recess for me.

I’ve seen a few bowls give way on social media when the remaining wood wasn’t enough to support a recess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version