General Category > General Discussion

Hot swarf

(1/2) > >>

Thomas Lawson:
Is it normal for the wood swarf from a sharp bowl gouge to get really hot, hot enough to hurt?

I have been turning very dry willow, teak, mahogany etc. and the clean shavings come off the gouge really hot.

The teak also blunted the gouge really quickly, turning what had been a clean peel of shaving to dust before resharpening

Wood spinner:
Prelonged use will cause friction , Friction causes heat , Yes it happens , Some wear a fingerless glove, some say it is not safe to use a glove, It is for you to decide.

Valkrider:
Teak has a high silica content and that is what is blunting your gouge quickly.

Bill21:
Very dry timbers can cause a number of problems, including as you’ve found out hot shavings.

Many years ago I was asked to make something from a piece of Oak from a 400 year old building removed during a renovation. It was far too dry to turn as it was. I had previously read about soaking difficult timbers in a 50/50 solution of dish soap and water for a number of weeks (I left it for a month) and then turning it after letting it dry off for a week or two. Apart from an old cut nail hidden in the timber it turned very well all things considered.

These days I discard old very dry wood unless it’s got particularly nice grain.

Thomas Lawson:
Thanks for the replies

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version