General Category > General Discussion

Tea Lights in wood

(1/3) > >>

Dancie:
I know someone who has a shop and she is just about to sell some tea lights placed in wood stands - bit like candle sticks but not,

The tea lights are touching the wood, three's no glass or metal dish to separate them,

I have told her that its illegal for her to sell them, as they are potentially dangerous because of the fire risk and she could be liable,

I know this has been mentioned here before, but am I right? is there a regulation about the sale of such things or is it just something we all know is wrong,

I'd love to be able to send her a link to trading standards or Government health and safety website - does anyone know if there is such a thing,

Also the warning labels that go with candle, burn in site don't leave for too long etc are they a legal requirement too?

Twisted Trees:
I don't think it is quite so simple as a written rule... BS EN 15494 https://www.tuvsud.com/en/e-ssentials-newsletter/consumer-products-and-retail-essentials/e-ssentials-17-2019/eu-candles-product-safety-labels-en-15494-07-updated-to-eu-15494-19 Covers candles and labelling.

Though not sensible a pure wood candle holder can be sold without a candle, and be exempt,  adding a metal or glass flame guard to the design may be sensible but won't necessarily comply with any specific rules on safety.

I think there may be a problem legally in selling a wooden (or any material) candle holder with an attached candle as you are then blending two sets of trading standards rules.

Dancie:
Thank you Pete,

I'm sure many members will see tea light holders for sale in wood this season,

There should be a simple document we can show the retailer to potentially save lives,

I've searched via google and I agree its not straight forward,

Dancie.

Richard Peers:
Whether there is any written policy on this or not, I think most would agree that it's not a clever idea. Should your friend proceed with selling these items and the worst then happened, a law suit is very likely to follow - quite apart from how they would feel if somebody got hurt. As a minimum, some kind of label or other information sheet should be supplied with each candle holder spelling out the safety steps to be taken.

Does anyone have any empirical evidence that a candle holder can be set alight by a tea light candle (complete with its thin metal case) burning right down? I would have thought the metal would offer a fair degree of protection, so unless the flame was being blown towards the surrounding wood, or the hole for the tea light was too deep, there would be a very low risk - but I'm prepared to change my mind if someone has experience of the issue.

Bill21:

--- Quote from: Richard Peers on October 16, 2023, 09:20:19 AM ---

Does anyone have any empirical evidence that a candle holder can be set alight by a tea light candle (complete with its thin metal case) burning right down? I would have thought the metal would offer a fair degree of protection, so unless the flame was being blown towards the surrounding wood, or the hole for the tea light was too deep, there would be a very low risk - but I'm prepared to change my mind if someone has experience of the issue.

--- End quote ---

This occurred to me. As tea lights already come in a metal case I’m not sure why additional precautions are required. I suppose thought that some tea light casings could be very thin and likely to not offer much protection?

Safer all round I suppose to use a glass or more robust metal receptacle for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version