General Category > General Discussion

Help Needed - how to make end flat/square

<< < (2/2)

Bourbon25:
Get yourself a bandsaw. Machine Mart has woodworking stuff on 'price crash' at the moment.

BrianH:
My advise, Steve, would be to stop and ask yourself what exactly you are wishing to achieve.
 If, as I suspect, the primary aim is to become a competent woody then move away from working with logwood until you have amassed the gear, knowledge and skills necessary to minimise the myriad of pitfalls which come with this type of material. Don't concern yourself with making stuff other than pretty shavings at this stage....You need practice not candlesticks!
Any old recycled wood will do to get you started with your new venture.
 And finally, be aware that addiction and frustration, as well as immense satisfaction, waits around every corner!
Best of luck whatever you settle on
Brian

John D Smith:
 Hi Steve, Welcome to the Forum I would Sugest you first join a Woodturning Club where there plenty of members who would give you excellent advice you didn't say your location so we could point you to a Club local to you Regards John.

Bill21:
Some good advice there from Brian and John.  ;)
Joining a club has many benefits, one of which in my case is wood turning material at very reasonable prices.

Paul Hannaby:
If you have the wood mounted between centres, you can use a parting tool to square off each end of the wood and/or cut a spigot to mount it in a chuck. As others have mentioned, mounting the end grain against a faceplate may cause you problems because wooodscrews don't hold anywhere near as well in end grain but that can be overcome by eiither using longer screws or using more of them. I would probably go for both. Once mounted on a faceplate, you could still use the live centre in the tailstock to support the blank so the screws weren't taking the full load of the cut.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with using logs to practice on if that's what you have available/ They are good for practice but bear in mind that if the log wood isn't fully dry, your turned piece may split as the wood dries further.

If you are looking for a club, there is a map on the AWGB website. Here's a link - https://www.awgb.co.uk/club-map/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version