General Category > General Discussion

Old wood Lathe

<< < (3/3)

Paul Hannaby:
As you've established the quill moves freely in the tailstock, the problem lies with the stuck thread. Probably what has happened is that the thread has been wound all the way in and is just locked tight. I suggest you refit the quill in the tailstock, replace the grub screws and locking screw then try applying more pressure on the handwheel to free up the thread. You will probably find as soon as it moves, it runs freely. I have come across other lathes where the thread locks if wound all the way back in.

You probably need to rotate the handwheel clockwise (looking from the back end of the lathe) to advance the thread.

Les Symonds:
You might find this page interesting/valuable...
http://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/page3.html

Twisted Trees:
As Paul said the thread is stuck, though it didn't look fully locked back in the first picture you posted it may well be. what you have in the last picture is the quill assembly inside the quill is a thread and that is turned by the wheel to advance / retard the quill position. Your next task is to get that thread moving, take it all the way out and clean everything.

Paulludd@hotmail.com:
Thanks for the link, very usefull. I will have a go at freeing the theard, just a little worried about breaking the plastic handle? thats stuck on as well, wont budge, got the grub screw out but wont budge. Will have to bite the bullet. Would anyone know if theres any were I can get a manuel?

Paul

Les Symonds:

--- Quote from: Paulludd@hotmail.com on April 14, 2024, 06:02:43 PM --- Would anyone know if theres any were I can get a manuel?

Paul

--- End quote ---

Try the link I just gave you...a part of the service that this site provides is to supply manuals for old lathes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version