General Category > For Sale / Wanted

Wanted - Banjo for Perform CCBL - swap for CCL banjo?

(1/2) > >>

WillDutson:
I've recently bought and refurbished a Perform CCBL. I've noticed that the tool rest is positioned 25mm too low. I believe this is due to the banjo being one from a CCL (64mm vs 89mm height)

Axminster can get the equivalent part, but would be a 6 month wait.

Any suggestions for making up the 25mm height (safely) to allow use of existing tool rest?

I'd appreciate some advice; should I:
a) buy/fabricate a taller tool rest (stiff enough?)
b) cut my losses and start again with another lathe
c) wait 6 months for the part from Axminster

Photo attached of my banjo/rest support. Also a screenshot of the proper ccbl banjo on someone else's lathe.

Many thanks

Will

Redwill:
   If me go with     A ;  Fabricate new tool rest.     
I did just that, acquired a length of solid round bar of correct dia for the upright,   plus some round stainless approx 2cm  3/4inch dia for the horizontal rest and had it welded to the bar.    Local machine shop had the material  (off cuts) and did this for me,  finished with 4 rests of different lengths at less cost than one from the lathe makers in my case Vicmarc.    To make it easy told the welder  I was not looking for showroom finish  just needed a strong weld ( quicker job for him)    not pretty but practical and tool slides on the round bar with ease.

WillDutson:
Thanks, seems like a good solution.

Bill21:
Would one of the two part rests from Axminster or Robert Sorby be of use to you?

WillDutson:
Thanks, worth a look; I'll see if the post length would gain enough height.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version