Author Topic: Inca  (Read 3257 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Inca
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
This is a piece that I started some time ago and was hanging around waiting for a base. The disc is a macrocarpa disc from a tree that was cut down into small rounds and simply turned with a small bowl to about 3/8". The base is a piece of chestnut I had that was splintered and broken. I wire brushed it and then gold leafed the fissure. The mounting is done with a post, turned and set through the arc with discs fixed onto it back and from so the disc slots into them. It stands approx 31 tall and the disc is about 12" max. diameter. I foolishly took it to a market where it got blown over and the support discs were broken so have had to be redone. i call it Inca because that is what it immediately made me think of when I had finished it if anyone has better suggestions lease share LOL. Apologies for the naff photo. Need to get some better ones ASAP
Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline chill

• copper
Re: Inca
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »
I like this Pete, lovely,
Cheers Chris

Jo Winter2

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:36:55 AM »
Hi Pete,
wonderful.
Jo

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:00:04 AM »
Hello Pete,
              this gives me the impression that if you peeled back the wood on the stand it would be solid gold.
I think this is lovely.
Regards John BHT

I understand that you have moved fairly close to where I am. Hope to see you at the club sometime or pop round for coffee.
Regards
John

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
Thank you guys, appreciate the comments. I am in Bromham John, moved up a year ago and getting my act together at last. Saw some of your work down at Lacock and recognised the name. I haven't met many turners up here yet so be good to get together.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »
Hi Pete, I've looked (and looked) at the photo of this piece, and it pulls at me. I have not yet worked out if it's because it's a well done wooden sculpture and we're all into wood. Or if it's something more spiritual, I can see a Sun and crescent moon over the river of gold.

Fantastic Piece - well done.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »

Pete,  have also been looking at this piece for sometime, stunning how the simplest of elements when all put together has created an outstanding work of art.

Well done             David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Thank you for all the responses. Like many turners I never fully have confidence in my own work so to have this sort of feedback means a lot.

Pete