General Category > General Discussion

how do we take wood turning i to the future

<< < (2/8) > >>

Dave Atkinson:
Hello

--- Quote from: dr4g0nfly on August 18, 2012, 09:56:41 PM --- Schools should also have their part to play but nowadays many of them only teach the design and process of handcrafts, actually doing it – far too dangerous, sharp tools, rotating objects, they are risk too averse.

The problem is, unlike when many of us were younger, nowadays there are very many more distractions and pursuits for people to use to while away their free time – computers and the next generation of ‘pads’ being some of the worst.

--- End quote ---

Sorry Bryan I disagree!  There are many reasons why schools don't do woodwork/metalwork etc and it isn't all to do with being risk averse.  Budgets, curriculum etc all play a part, and I think we forget that the people who establish the rules/spending budgets are our peers, or perhaps our children?  Also the risk averse culture is aggravated by parents who often insist on safety etc or they'll sue - and for many of us that's our children as well!

Second "computers and pads" isn't that what we are using to get on this and other forums?  They have brought a world on information, knowledge and entertainment that was the world of science fiction when we were kids.  there are many worse things than playing on a computer or an IPAD

Many people don't have room or money to afford a lathe, tools, lessons, etc to end up making something brown and round! And let's face it that what most people make - as Pete suggests in his post about craft fairs.

How about a woodturning app, or a woodturning Wii game?  I doubt there will be one but magazines are available and there's also YouTube - but that's a separate debate.

It doesn't depress me and I'm sure woodworking in all its forms will continue and develop and there will be a few that push the boundaries.  Most of us I suspect will continue with the brown and round!
I doubt it will ever be anything other than a minority hobby for the few with room for a shed, money for tools and someone to help get them started.  To be honest I doubt that when we were kids there were any more turners than there are now, in fact I wouldn't  be surprised if there were less.   And from my experience there wasn't much opportunity to do anything other than make a shoebox at 11 and 12!  And then there were insufficient place available for woodwork and metalwork when I was 13 and that's 44 years ago so I had to do music or art neither of which appealed so to think to think things were better in the past is perhaps a fallacy.

Ian's question was "how do we take woodturning into the future".  I suspect the answer is more of the same, as others have already stated.

Perhaps the question is "where are we taking it to?" and I don't know the answer to that either! :D

Cheers Dave

TONY MALIN:
There's an old saying in beekeeping "if bees didn't sting everyone would keep bees".  So who would buy their honey?

Tony Malin

woodndesign:

--- Quote from: Dave Atkinson on August 19, 2012, 12:55:22 PM ---
Ian's question was "how do we take woodturning into the future".  I suspect the answer is more of the same, as others have already stated.

Perhaps the question is "where are we taking it to?" and I don't know the answer to that either! :D

Cheers Dave

--- End quote ---

It's in the WE ...  we read that not only the AWGB, but at Club level that posts are pending or need to be filled and should these posts not become filled then the likelihood is the Group would or will fold, not all of us may be able to fill such posts, but in looking to the Future it depends on it, if there is to be a Future.

It is always the question how or why did a person take up Turning, for me it was from School and for all my interest in doing so, it was not until I had a home of my own and a garage, an been left some extra money that I got the lathe etc to start, it's taken time and alot more money to get up a full kit of tools an equipment needed, which still needs adding too, so as said already space and cost are the main part and as I am find currently at this moment TIME...  as an when ...  if I get to retire ...  THEN ... 

Via here and the different Web Sites out there we do ( those with an interest ) get to see alot of work which is well outside of the round an brown, it is for more of the public and art buyers to find them, which a few are doing, it would be starting a fresh topic to say wood doesn't compete with Glass, Ceramics or othe art forms.

That you to all who have commented so far.     And as Dave asked  "where are we taking it to?"  don't kill the root ....

Cheers      David

reg:
I'm not sure what Ian's question is aimed at--if he implies that everything is standing still and something has to be done about it then I disagree--if he implies that there are other things we haven't thought off then I'm sure he is right.
In the last 3 years we have expanded our training programme and introduced a whole new range of courses with particular attention to youth training and now have an association with the Scouts
We are looking at woodturning certificates and diplomas
We have introduced the first ever internet auctions dedicated to woodturning --the funds from these have allowed to expand the training already mentioned
The international seminar at Loughborough continues to improve and the gallery there will inspire anyone and certainly doesn't contain any of the basic craft items complained off in one of the posts.( the gallery can be viewed by anyone free)
We are in the process of becoming a charity which will increase kudos and hopefully open up other funding possibilities which in turn will allow us to do more.
So basically there is a lot going on but as I said in the beginning we are always open to new ideas and of course touching on another post we are always open to others to help. This last point is almost the opposite of the question asked --what is holding us back?--and the lack of the right people coming forward willing to put in the time and effort for the benefit of all is certainly a major concern

Regards Reg Hawthorne

John D Smith:
Hi Ian, I agree with Reg Hawthorne I think the AWGB is far from Standing Still I also think the AWGB has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years with all of the Training Programmes that are carried out the Seminar that takes place every two years and many other initiatives that are being undertaken.I often wonder if members ever read an digest information that is on this Forum,in the Revolutions Mag,In the news letter that Andy has started sending out etc.etc. this will show some of  the initiatives that are going on, I think the Committee do a super job,As a Secretary of a Branch also Treasurer because no one else would take it on and next year we are looking for an Events Secretary which we asked for  someone to take this on back in January so far no volunteers out of a membership of 65 The AWGB also needs help with members coming forward.
Remember one thing and I have said it on previous postings.Over the last 10 years I have attended the AGM in April the attendance is very poor and it is mostly the same faces.

OUR COMMITTEE ARE ALL UNPAID VOLUNTEERS WHO PUT MANY HOURS OF THEIR OWN TIME IN TO THIS ASSOCIATION

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version