General Category > General Discussion

AWGB Seminar 2013

<< < (3/3)

John D Smith:
I must agree with a lot of the comments that Andy has posted on this thread. I think you can only comment about value for money when you have experienced the function what ever it may be.I have been to three Seminars so far and every one was fantastic and value for money.
I have met some woodturners from around the country who have become great friends some thing you cannot put a price on I have seen Great Woodturners from around the World and every one of them were prepared to give you their time there seems to be no elitism in wood turning everyone at the seminar are most helpful. I manage to pay for the Seminar by saving a few pounds each week and I some times sell a couple of my turned items
and that money goes into the pot also I find some of the tools I have that I thought were a must have I sell every little helps.
I hope to go to the Seminar for a fourth time next year the only thing that will stop me is a health problem I have at the moment.If you can find a way of going you will not regret it. Regards John

DAVE BADKIN:
I new my comments or some of them would be taken wrongly.
Did nobody read or forget the parts where I said I went to the last seminar and said that it was worth every penny  and enjoyed every minuet!

I have only ever once mentioned that there appeared to be an air of elitism when it came to the display of professionally turned pieces , as in we were told not to bring stands and such, and to leave our pieces at check-in yet some pro's took there own and arranged there own pieces.
 If there is persistent claim of elitism then maybe it is a fact and something might need addressing, as I say I have only ever mentioned it ONCE.

I know and have had plenty experience when it comes to business and agree that to make it in woodturning is never going to be easy and the only way that most are able to make a living at it have to be committed 24/7 and tour the country demonstrating, getting sponsorship so they don't have to buy tools all the time and the most important thing get yourself a bloody good accountant to offset the cost of tools, and seminars as staff training. some of us do know about business, profit and loss, and financial embarrassment and those finding themselves in it need a voice and it should be herd and not dismissed so easily.

I am not able to attend this year due to disability and expected surgery, but for those who are able to go but cant afford to is there not still the chance of funding from the AWGB in the form of a scholarship as they have done for past seminars?

I  have nothing but respect for 99% of professional turners and know a few personally, know only too well how hard it is to make it the success they deserve. When it comes to over seas turners the seminar may well be the only chance we get to see them and our friends from around the country.

my advice to anyone thinking of attending would be to go the full hog and do everything eat in and stay on campus attend the banquet do it all, but I also respect anyone who said they couldn't afford all or parts of it for they will surely miss an event and experience of a lifetime, if I never get to go again at least I can say I went once Loughborough 2011.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version