Author Topic: A mixed day...  (Read 3602 times)

arcos

A mixed day...
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
So, today was a wood turning day for me after two aborted days with the unexpected cropping up!

Main reason to time myself making my very 'unique' tea light holders... Some nutter has ordered  large quantity of them!! So, I decided to test how much time it takes to turn a set of 3 to try and work out a cost. Obviously having to include sourcing the wood, cutting, sizing, turning etc etc

Well, it too MUCH longer than expected. Mainly due to keeping them even more natural... I won't do this for the customer but it was a good test of time. Now just need to calculate a reasonable 'bulk order' price.

I then turned my attention to making a bangle... Have made one before, long time ago, but got the dimensions all wrong and it was more of a bicep bangle... The recipient liked it though as they were into Arican arts! Anyway, made this one FAR too thin and it cracked on parting. A quick repair with SG and a few minutes later continued parting to watch pieces fly everywhere  :'(

Took a smaller, scrap piece of olive and started again only this time thicker sides! Even though I knew it was going to be small I just wanted to test myself a bit and see if I remembered how to do it! Well, it's come out ok actually. It is definitely for a child. The one problem I had was in finishing the parted side. Because it is so small I wasnt able to get in and really match the 'open side' if you like. It's close and I'm ok with it but I think I need some MORE practice on these!!

Never mind, I moved onto making a pendant, one of the off center ones. I like those a lot and someone asked me for one last night!! Superfast, supersticky double sided tape, nice piece of round, left over olive and its fixed to me board with two holes drilled ( i'm sure you know the one)... Bring up tail stock and start rounding off... My superfast, supersticky, superEXPENSIVE double sided tape does one and wraps its self on itself and thats the end of that!

Turned a nice little bottle stopper though from semi green olive (these small pieces are drying really nicely now!) I will find some batteries for my camera in a minute and take some shots of what i actually managed to finish without bits of wood flying around the workshop and put them into the gallery for come serious critique please.

I am getting the feeling that I need to dedicate time/a day to playing around with one item whether that is tea light holders, bottle stoppers, bangles etc etc.

Nice day for turning though, sun streaming through the open door, about 18 degrees outside, the birds singing, COLD red wine (no, not until finished turning!)  :D

Paul Disdle

Re: A mixed day...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:55 PM »
Sounds like a good day of learning to me. Wish I could get a whole day to try so many things.

Paul

arcos

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »
It was a GREAT day of learning!

Learning and experimenting... Also remembering that the double sided tape that I get here does NOT work wood to wood! It will ONLY hold fast metal (faceplate) to wood or some kind of formica word top and wood for holding my wood destined (eventually) to be pendants!

Now struggling for wood for the fire.... BBbrrrrrrr!  ::)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
So what is to be learnt from this most interesting missive?

Arcos has got it serious, very badly bitten by the 'Turning Bug.'

Keen and eager and trying everything.

Learning fast that, like all of us in our early days, the greatest teacher is the mistakes we make - and oft-times we still do!

That he is lucky enough to be a turner in a location with a severe lack of other turners. Making it difficult to get the equipment we can access so easily, so having to improvise to overcome the situation which will lead to novel and innovative ideas (looking forward to these).

But that he has a ready supply of customers who want his wares, is able to turn in the open air, his doors open and still be warm in the depths of winter - I think we are all jealous of these last few.

Keep up the updates - they are really interesting reading.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »
Hmmm the bug indeed!

I actually found a wood turner here last night. Rather a retired wood turner. He gave up out of frustration of not being able to find resources here AND struggling with split olive! He loved the pieces I have on display and even liked the rustic tea lights!!

This is going to be some journey!!

I am very lucky to have a plentiful supply of olive and fruit wood and a few bits that I will be interested to see what happens to them ;-)

I am also very lucky to have found a little vein of customers both here and across Europe and the US who are showing an interest in my pieces.

A friend of mine is my inspiration. Always looking in 'designer' magazines... "Can you make this?" And I go and try!!

Yes, the weather helps! It is FREEZING at night but daytime is perfect at the moment!

I will keep turning and see what little miracles come off the lathe... Its more about the wood than me! It is so tactile and 'perfect' yet so frustrating sometimes ;-)

I LOVE IT!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
Try sticking the twinstick tape to the wood before giving it good hard rub with something hard but smooth, like a screwdriver handle, before removing the second protective tape and sticking it to the faceplate with tailstock pressure assistance. No guarantees but it might just work.
Best
Brian

arcos

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
Hi Brian

Yep, that's my plan!

The issue I had was trying to stick to a piece of scrap and then mounting the piece. Just didn't like it at all.

Of course the issue I have with the faceplate is that I then need to reposition for the off center hole.

Seen some nice off center jigs but they do look pretty complicated and expensive!

Scrape lamenated board with center hole and off center hole for screw chuck is probably the way forward...

Unless someone has another idea? ;-)