Author Topic: Bubinga bowl  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Bubinga bowl
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
This was never meant to happen! I mounted a random bowl blank on the lathe just to skim the bottom, place some router-mat against it and use it as a compression chuck to reverse mount a 16" platter; then I realised that there was a nice bit of grain under the oxidised exterior, so this morning, rather than just unscrew it off the face-plate and bung it back into the stock-pile, I decided to carry on and make a bowl out of it. I've never turned bubinga before and found really good to work with.

Overall dimensions 20cm x 7 cm (8" x 3")

Les
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:15:07 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John

• bronze
Re: Bubinga bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:27:50 PM »
Nice bowl lovely shape.
Burbinga is a nice wood to work with.
You should have no trouble selling it.
John
John English

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »
Les,

I've not been ignoring you, but from your description of the discovery of this bowl inside an old oxide covered bit of wood, I've been trying to remember a word, now I've got it...

... Serendipity (lucky happenstance).

I agree, a fantastic grain, tight because of the lack of our European seasons in the tropics and a a good hard wood capable of taking such a high polish.  Nice shape too, I like the undercut rim.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
Cheers Bryan....'twas Serendipitous, indeed. Glad you liked the shape; the lady who bought it from me and the lady who received it as a Christmas present were both very pleased.
Les.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
Siwd mae Les, cyfarchion y tymor!!

Lovely timber Bubinga, njcely turned and finished bowl. Do you use a light box and two lights at 45 degrees to each other for your photos? they come out really well. Sion Corn dropped a Crown Mini Hollowing Tool off for me Xmas day from Mark Sanger, hope to experiment with it and get something posted before the new year.

Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »
Les, you've created the ideal form, the fine lip, then wide under cut to the rim, you've got a superb finish and signed it off nicely.
I've turned bubinga and it has a beautiful colour hue from a pinkish red to a darker reddish brown with darker purple streaks which are captured in your piece.

Cheers   Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 02:59:02 AM »
Hi guys....thanks for the comments, they are gratefully accepted.
Rod....you are absolutely right. I have one of those colapsible, portable cubes and just sit the items in it with the lights on the outside. It makes quite a difference.
Dewi....praise indeed....thanks for that.

Les