Author Topic: Display of my work...  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Display of my work...
« on: March 02, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »
I've been working on building connections with John Lewis Partnership, through their local hotel that is used by their partners (employees) as a relaxation and activity centre. This weekend was a big weekend for them, celebrating St David's Day with a whole weekend of Welsh-themed activities.

I delivered a load of my work, which is now on display in their reception area and along the corridor to the dining room and bar, and this morning I set up a little Jet lathe in their activity store-room and did a short demonstration for those guests who had checked out, but weren't leaving until after lunch. I turned an oak candlestick with brass liner, then a toy penguin from a laminated block, with different coloured woods for the body, breast and wings. We turned this bit into a competition for the children who attended, giving the penguin to the first person who could guess what I was making....but some bloke who fancied himself kept making suggestions and eventually got it right, then, when I'd finished, he was prepared to take it as a prize, even though a little 5 year old lad had also guessed it and really wanted it. Needless to say, the lad got it!

All-in-all, a really successful weekend and the good thing is that I took a commission and the display proved so popular that it's staying in place and the hotel isn't taking any commission....just happy to have a nice display for their reception that they haven't had to pay for.

Les

p.s. ... thanks Bryan for the suggestion...it went down a treat
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Display of my work...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:03:32 PM »
Wych.  Yn ofalus, rydych yn mynd i gael i feddwl am proffesiynol troi ar y gyfradd hon. LOL

Diwrnod Hapus Dewi Sant

Blimey my welsh is rusty

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
p.s. ... thanks Bryan for the suggestion...it went down a treat

Nice to know - I like humour, it really helps ... relax the demonstrator.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
What a great idea and a great way of showing off your work, hopefully with lots sales.

Great work by the way like the large plate/platter

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
Les a good display well done. If I was you I would make a template of that light as I think that is worth making too. ;D
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »

Les, at last on and able to comment, I like the display tables, nice pair, but the draw runner on one needs fixing ..  ;D .. got to look right.

The lamps, as John BHT commented, you definitely need to draw up a copy stick, I'd like one too.

Overall you'd done a very good display and a ideal location as well, if you'd get into the whole chain.. Well..

Best sales would be should the pieces be from timber from the garden/grounds, sentimental value can come with a big price.

Keep the flag flying.    Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
Cheers Dewi.  I'll be more than happy keeping up with the sales from the few outlets I've got on the go already, thanks. An interesting point about the use of local timber, and a point that hadn't gone unnoticed. I'm currently scavenging the hotel woodlands for exactly that reason. Mostly oak, ash and beech, so plenty of scope.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:48:35 AM »
Great idea, Great display, Great workmanship.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
Cheers Dewi.  I'll be more than happy keeping up with the sales from the few outlets I've got on the go already, thanks. An interesting point about the use of local timber, and a point that hadn't gone unnoticed. I'm currently scavenging the hotel woodlands for exactly that reason. Mostly oak, ash and beech, so plenty of scope.

Les

Now .. should you find a Bur (Burl) or two ... All that spalted timber already on the gound .. less it's silver birch ... I find them here, always looks good, then you find it is just the bark, inside is sponge.

The local plays an important part, as with the outlrt too .. With Welsh .. As Cornish with made In and Of timber from, has a ring to it, unlike made in Staffordshire .. pottery killed then .. :D ..

Cheers    Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »

The reception area looks a good setting to display your work les
       Trust the demo went down well with all the guests.

Hope sales go well    :)
        Tony and Diane
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/