Author Topic: First Hollow Form  (Read 2650 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
First Hollow Form
« on: April 12, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »
Well this is my first hollow form using the Revolution hollowing tool 340mm x 90mm with a 100mm opening

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: First Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
You believe in jumping in at the deep end don't you LOL? That isn't the easiest design of hollow form to start with. I can't comment on the inside obviously but what I can see looks pretty good. I assume it's elm? Not the easiest wood to turn but you seem to have a good finish and can be justifiably proud of your first attempt IMHO.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
Hi Pete

Yes it's elm, I've turned a lot of elm, I got some lovely planks from Home of Wood in Rye which is quite close to me, It's been air dried by them but some of it still moves once turned.

The inside is ok smooth sanded, oiled and waxed, the wall is around 5mm except on the edge and I would say that around 9mm I could not get the cutter in as it's quite tight so I guess that I should have tried going in a little more with the scrapper tip, but I was quite please with the out come so I wanted to keep it intact.

I'll go all in on the next one :) :) :)

Ed
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:54:20 PM by edbanger »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »

Ed, you've done a great job there, far from easy, well done. I'd had a lot of Elm myself at one time, beautiful the color hues it can present, it's a favorite still, when I can find some.

Cheers for sharing.   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »

It has already been said   It`s not the easiest design to start hollowing with but that said
    you have made a darn good job of it  well done.
         Tony and Diane
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »
Ed,

Sorry I've just realised that I forgot to comment when I first read the posting.

I was going to say that it's the fairly normal first hollow-form shape, then I read the dimensions. Wow, that was a brave first attempt, it's large.

A lovely piece of Elm, you've done it proud and a fine finish, recon you'll keep that one.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:44 AM »
Hi Ed

just goes to show the attention I don't pay as I missed this one,thanks for the heads up. As has been said not an easy first form at all. If the wood is seasoned, which this was, it is not important that it is a bit thicker in the edge, better as you say to keep it intact and to practice tooling.

A briliant first form, excellent finish. Looking forward to seeing more.