Author Topic: Tea light stands  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Tea light stands
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
This was an experiment to see what I could do with some awkward shaped lumps of oak burr. The stuff is as dry as a bone and riddled with surface checking.

I've tried 3 different heights (4", 6" & 8") and will start making them in sets of 3, taking the shape from the tallest of the three.

The wood turned surprisingly well and sanded easily. The finish is a single coat of Danish oil, brushed on, wiped off and then buffed immediately.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Re: Tea light stands
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
Les
I like these, a complete change to the normal 2" or so high ones. Rustic timber and elegant form works well
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
Les
I like these, a complete change to the normal 2" or so high ones. Rustic timber and elegant form works well
Rod

thanks, Rod....I think that the high one works, but only when it's in the company of the other sizes, otherwise it might look a bit too tall for a tea-light....so that's why I'm making them in sets of 3. Hope the shop agrees!
Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »
Les,

A smashing set of 3 tealight holders, should sell well as a set.

Have you thought about filling cracks with anything? Coffee grounds (not used ones) work well in resin and being of a brown colour look like spalting or similar.

Glad to see the weight down low for stability.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:56:38 AM »

Coolest three lights out there ... job to workout keeping the balance with the forms, the smallest looks a little out, not the flowing neck and a tad wide in the base. You've still done well. Like them.

Cheers   Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:03:55 AM »
I like them I can see people buying a set of three no problem

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »

... job to workout keeping the balance with the forms, the smallest looks a little out, not the flowing neck and a tad wide in the base.

Cheers   Dewi

Hi Dewi....yep, the small one is a little out, but these were the prototypes on which I worked out the shapes and heights. The finished sets will follow the pattern of the largest and I'm sticking to the size range.

Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:22:01 AM »
Like the idea, sets of three go well I find as do the contemporary styles like these. Shouldn't have them too long Les.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »
Shades of Knud Oland here Les, nice little trio, should sell well as a group. I like the Oak burr you have done it justice with the  finish, tea lights with a difference.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »

A set of 3 very minimalist tea lights with a touch of
      Rustic appeal.  Nicely captured Les

Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »

... job to workout keeping the balance with the forms, the smallest looks a little out, not the flowing neck and a tad wide in the base.

Cheers   Dewi

Hi Dewi....yep, the small one is a little out, but these were the prototypes on which I worked out the shapes and heights. The finished sets will follow the pattern of the largest and I'm sticking to the size range.

Les

Hi Les, I know you've an abundance of timber, so not governed to dimensions with cutting. A thought to those .. we who may have or buy stock off the shelve, timber can be 1ft or 2ft lengths (ah close foreign size .. short) , to be economical it would be best to size to minimize waste.

I'd got it from another Les' on how best to size apples, an not have waste.. X apples from a length.

Cheers  Dewi

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »
You see, Dewi.....there's this bloke I know from years ago and who I bumped into the other day.'Do you still use wood', he said. And so it started....turns out he's got about a dozen pieces, each 8ft to 10ft long and varying between 4" x 6" and 6" x 6".....and the whole lot of it is burr with natural features in abundance. I think that Pete Moncrief Jury's 'Wood Fairy' must have flown over north Wales.

Hee, hee, hee!

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »
You see, Dewi.....there's this bloke I know from years ago and who I bumped into the other day.'Do you still use wood', he said. And so it started....turns out he's got about a dozen pieces, each 8ft to 10ft long and varying between 4" x 6" and 6" x 6".....and the whole lot of it is burr with natural features in abundance. I think that Pete Moncrief Jury's 'Wood Fairy' must have flown over north Wales.

Hee, hee, hee!

Les

:'( ..

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »
He or she (never quite sure of the fairys gender) is being pretty busy. I had a couple of people giving me wood at Yandles as well as someone giving me so dry yew at the club on Thursday.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities