Author Topic: busy and hot !  (Read 4041 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
busy and hot !
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »
I have been enjoying good sales recently , which is always welcome of course ! However with stock getting low I have had to do some turning in this hot weather and really not enjoying it at all !! Doing just mornings at the moment as it is unbearable in the afternoon . At one of my outlets another turner who made only bowls has stopped turning so they asked me to supply them instead ( I usually supply hollow forms ) and I have approx 100 rough turned bowls in storage  from 8"- 18" dia  and most quite deep ,and am finally getting round to some of these , Some I wrote the date  on when I roughed them out and some large ash are 12 years old !!  I have an enormous variety of woods , oak , ash , elm ,yew , robinia , grisellinea , laburnum ,horse chestnut , sycamore , monterey pine , monterey cypress, spalted beech etc many with burrs or figuring . Some I had just about forgotten I had ,and find I can complete most pretty quickly , most of these are lumps of wood that I had spare after using most of the wood for H/F blanks and I just kept piling them up so it feels good to finally finish them off at last .... anyone else doing much at the moment ?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: busy and hot !
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
roughed out a load of walnut blanks over the past couple of months (101 to be exact) from 4" to 28" and 2" to 7" deep. a couple of weeks ago i decided it was time to sort out the shop and then the temp shot up so i've mostly been working 7pm-10pm.

this is all after completely clearing up the garden which i made quite messy over the last few years and chopping up the fire wood so it can be dry in the last half of winter.

phew....

still not finished on any by the way.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »
Hi, if you have 101 walnut bowls roughed out , I do not know how quickly you will sell them but take care of them as I have found walnut to be a favourite of woodworm and have had to burn a few pieces recently , not sure how you prevent woodworm attack to be honest , only how to deal with once affected .

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
there is no woodworm in the house or in the loft (where they are currently stored) so they should be fine.

i'm aware of the potential for worm to ruin them but thankfully i've found no evidence thus far.

anything i find with worm in it goes straight on the fire...

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
I should be hot and busy ut I am just hot.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Bazal

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:09:28 PM »
Hi, if you have 101 walnut bowls roughed out , I do not know how quickly you will sell them but take care of them as I have found walnut to be a favourite of woodworm and have had to burn a few pieces recently , not sure how you prevent woodworm attack to be honest , only how to deal with once affected .
Hi there I use a product from a company called restoration UK, you can find them on line.
It is a water based product see there site for the info. We use this on property repairs. Bazal

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
Most if not all woodworm treatments will be toxic so not really a good idea for use on a bowl unless it is very obviously decorative only.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 07:41:59 PM »
I microwave mine that sorts the little beggars out.
But you do have to be aware the microwaves only penetrate about an inch

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:19 PM »
if you have a microwave that can take nearly 30" then i might do that.

they are all stored nicely in the loft and there is no chance of worm up there and most of it's too dry for them to take an interest.

with any luck ill get some done before christmas.