Author Topic: anyone know of a domed sanding attachment?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
anyone know of a domed sanding attachment?
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »
hi all, been looking for a domed sanding attachment to either fir on to and angle grinder or to fit in a drill.

anyone know of one???

Offline tombo

• iron
    • tombiddulph.co.uk
Re: anyone know of a domed sanding attachment?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »

http://kirjes.co.uk/?page_id=329

Any good ?  Looked at these but arm and a leg pricewise !

Might be OK for you ??

All the best.

Tom

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:20:34 AM »
i found that a bit earlier but its a bit too small. i should say that i'm looking for something 3-4" across.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:04:58 AM »
i found that a bit earlier but its a bit too small. i should say that i'm looking for something 3-4" across.
Having just looked at the Kirjes prices via Tom's link, I dread to think what a 3" - 4" system would cost!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
Just an idea, how about turning one in wood, drill and bolt some threaded rod to hold it with and then cover the whole thing with a tennis ball?

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »
I have seen some in the past , and from memory one was inflatable I think , however very costly and so are the abrasive discs to fit .  Either way an angle grinder will be far too fast for this set up I think , why do you need this exactly ?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
i want to use it for the inside of very large bowls and don't fancy spending hours sanding when the lathe is running.

i've got lots of walnut which i find difficult to finish the inside well on and also a few other softish woods that i wish to try it out on. i tend to leave tearout in soft timbered bowls and was looking for a quick remedy to grind or sand the tearout away.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »
I use 2" dia foam backed   sanding arbors with velcro discs for power sanding on bowl interiors to remove any tool marks and find it is far better than hand sanding , you can focus the sanding on the problem areas ( usually end grain  ) but I use  a slow drill with the bowl static to do this, high speed will cause too much heat for the wood and the foam sanding pads, some woods are worse than others though !