Author Topic: Fire hazards  (Read 8723 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Fire hazards
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
In response to a photo of a table centre that was posted on Facebook recently with a t light lit in a wooden centre can I just emphasise here that putting any candle or t light directly into a wooden receptacle is dangerous. As glass and brass holders are cheap there is no excuse and yet at this time of year I have seen so many at shows where there is just a t light in it's aluminium case directly into the wood. If you sell or give a holder away you are legally responsible for something that is potentially dangerous and should be aware. Many people use the paraffin wax ones as they can be bought cheaply but they are the worst as the wax burns hot. Please don't make these without including a fire proof receptacle between the wood and the candle / t light.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ColWA

• iron
Re: Fire hazards
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 12:17:01 AM »
I agree.
But, do you have any good examples or fire-safe receptacles ?

Col

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:12:13 AM »
I agree.

Col
I'm sure that Pete won't mind me adding to this, as we've both been involved in the discussion that he refers to on another forum/networking site.

The most commonly used holder for tea-lights is available through loads of sources on ebay, here's where I buy mine...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171198028355?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=470318213450&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
   ...at about 50p a time, you really can't go wrong.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
Also can be found for very cheap at any good local Charity Shop, Wilko sell them cheap too.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »
I saw the pic on one of the Facebook groups and raised an eyebrow, didn't realise it had developed into a conversation, I will look again.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:48:24 AM »
Thanks Les, for candle sticks these are as good as any and one of the cheapest. As Rlewisrlou666 said, other alternatives can be used and picked up from charity shops as well. As long as the insert is capable of dealing with the heat any glass or metal can be used.

Pete

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »
I agree.

Col
I'm sure that Pete won't mind me adding to this, as we've both been involved in the discussion that he refers to on another forum/networking site.

The most commonly used holder for tea-lights is available through loads of sources on ebay, here's where I buy mine...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171198028355?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=470318213450&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
   ...at about 50p a time, you really can't go wrong.

Les
Hi Pete and Les,
I thought you might like to know Glimma tealight holders are sold by IKEA, much cheaper than the link on ebay. See http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00114167/ 36 from IKEA would cost £6, not the £18.99 asked by the ebay seller.

Occasionally IKEA also do them in red glass, great for Xmas, but those aren't always available.

Another option, as we have just had a demo by Gerry Marlow doing exactly this, is to 'spin' a candle cup/dish from a piece of aluminium sheet. He used plastic formers but said you could use wood and it was all done on a woodturning lathe. When I have time, I will post a picture.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
Good to see metal spinning being featured in a  club demo - full marks to Gerry Marlow for doing this.

We're lucky enough to have a commercial metal spinning shop a few miles from here but they do not do club demos.
I have to say the turner we saw the day we visited was FAST! I now know how all those flashy industrial metal lampshades are made.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
Metal spinning looks like so much fun.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
Ikea prices are cheaper than last time I looked, mind you that was some time ago. Next lot I get I'll check them out first. I have made candle holders in pewter on the lathe, not tried aluminium.

Pete

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
As promised in my earlier post here are a couple of images of the candle cup Gerry Marlow 'spun' as part of his demo.

The first image shows the two formers fitted to the lathe and the flat piece of aluminium wedged between them. The first thing Gerry did was to true up the circumference, then used a polished, round tipped bar to work the metal over the formers. Sorry about the quality of the picture but I take them from the back of the hall, and photograph the projected image, not the actual workpiece. Hopefully it shows how they are spun.
The second image shows a close up of the formers and a finished cup.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 05:23:22 PM »
What Ali can be spun on a lathe safely?

I have a large sheet of 1.5mm Aluminium that has been sat around waiting to be turned into Armoured Gauntlets for my brother.

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
What Ali can be spun on a lathe safely?

I have a large sheet of 1.5mm Aluminium that has been sat around waiting to be turned into Armoured Gauntlets for my brother.

I didn't take a measurement of the thickness of the piece Gerry used but I would guess around 1.0 - 1.5mm. I don't think the thickness would have a bearing on safety, just that the thicker it is, the harder it would be to work it. He did use a hefty piece of metal in the toolpost to lever the tool against! You can just about make that out in the picture.

Gerry said he has also spun copper sheet but if you use scrap copper, make sure it is annealed before you try and spin it, otherwise it is too 'hard'.

I intend to have a go at this myself, when time allows. I will start a new posting, with results of my attempts but don't hold your breath :-*
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 05:59:52 PM »
I watched a few Videos on Youtube ages ago but I've just found this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7QB0-AlwtI Enjoy guys.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »
I agree about the use of inserts. One of our club members is an ex-fire officer, he's had to attend too many aftermaths cased by candle fires and gets a little upset if we don't use them

I also use them from Ikea, or from car boot sales. I picked up a boxful (about 120) for £1 from a young lady that had used them for her wedding and did not know what to do with them afterwards,
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!