Author Topic: Root abstract  (Read 2710 times)

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
Root abstract
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »
Hi All,
A couple of years ago I dug up the root of a dead shrub (red -robin) and I kept looking at it to see what or if it could be used to make something and this is the result.
The root has been stained back, and a small dish and hollow form in ash added to it (it is about 225 mm long and 110 high.
Comments welcomed
Ken.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Root abstract
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »
Good to see you using the root this way. Couple of suggestions...ignore if you wish LOL. Get some trailing artificial or dried leaves and / or flower stems in the vase so that they drape over the root, it will give the whole piece a continuity and a different perspective. The little bowl, keep your eyes open for small marked pebbles and put one or three (odd numbers work best) in it, again it gives a different feel and will lift the whole piece into a different realm. When I do these pieces I find that sometimes I chop and change my mind half a dozen times and try different things before I am happy with them but it is worth it as the root has a beauty of it's own well worth working at.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the tips
I will hopefully be on the beach fishing for cod this week so will search for some interesting pebbles to pass the time.
Regards
Ken

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Lovely. Are the bowl and form attached ? I would like to see if having the form where the bowl is works as well.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
Hi Graham,
The bowl is fixed to the root by drilling and glued spigot.
The hollow form is fixed with a metal pin held in place with araldite.
Regards
Ken

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
Ken,

Pete (bodrighywood) has introduced us to this sytle of form, and certainly here in this forum it's become something of a hit. 

It must be artistic as it serves no useful function. Works for me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

So far have just enjoyed to look at this piece. The root has more of a charred look than simply stained. Like how you'd turn the larger root cut on upper part as a slight hollow. The bowls' coarse grain and direction adds to the flow and the HF nests just perfectly and give a pleasant form and balance.

The root is a little clean square cut, then it's not driftwood and been hammered by tide and time.  I miss Cornish beach-combing and the results ...   :( ..

Striking piece, could you add to it, maybe, as it is well done. Like it. Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
Hi David,
Thanks for the comments.
I always look out for driftwood when I go on the beach, but don't see much of it on our coast
Ken