Author Topic: Burr Oak Vase  (Read 4047 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Burr Oak Vase
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »
and another finished piece you might like a Burr Oak vase or hollow form as the neck is smaller than the body  :)

280mm x 140mm

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Burr Oak Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
Hi Ed...a beautiful piece of timber and a good sized vase that must have been hard work to hollow out. May I be so bold as to make an observation of one thing that doesn't quite work for me? It's the collar, or more specifically, the way that it blends into the body and then rolls over at the rim. I would have preferred it to be more defined, with sharper transitions.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 09:03:41 PM »
Hi Ed,
           I am with Les on this one Beautiful piece of wood but the collar/neck lets it down.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
Beautiful wood, well turned but it is basically an oriental form which needs the adjustment that Les describes in my opinion. If you can remount it it would be worth it as it would make a good piece into a great piece.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
Hi Ed,
Lovely piece of burr oak - my favourite wood,well turned and good finish which is not always easy to achieve.
I agree with the others that the neck does not look quite right and maybe as Pete said could it be reworked?
Regards
Ken

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »
Thanks Chaps

I take your point about the neck, and think that your right a low round bead might have looked better. I'll change that on the next one this one as all ready gone.

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »

Like others not sure about the top ...........but none the less its  well turned and finished
     over all a cracking piece ED
     Tony and Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
Ed. I note it's already gone and I agree with the other observations about the neck transition.

I also mention that we've identified your transitions between curves as something you need to think about previously. It is just the little things that make a big difference.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
I have learned the hard way to always leave a piece capable of being returned before removing from the lathe as so often something that looks great horizontal can be wrong in some way when put the right way up.I found this a lot with goblets and vases in particular. Also if you want to do these type of things more it's worth researching the different styles from east, Greek and roman, and native Americans in particular. Though they are all very different there is usually a common denominator that makes them work.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
Thanks again all

It's the thing that I like most about this forum, the comments help you to develop as a woodturner. I already been looking at the way the turned pots are finished so the next one will be (fingers crossed) spot-on  :)

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »

From the thumbnail pic it could well have been a lid, as with a ginger/tobacco jar .. 11" x 5.5" (£:s:d) likely its as much an urn .. 

Call it what you like .. it sold ..  ;D ..  Now somebody liked the form .. if not that that's one beautiful bit of Oak.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »
Its a funny thing with the way things look laying down and standing up. I was involved with making I.D cards for a short while and the photos always displayed initially on their sides. The memsabs  always looked prettier laying down than standing up.
Make of that what you will, I am saying no more.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
Hi Ed I too echo the comments of all here.
There is always a way to remount a piece after finishing, I had to do it once with a segmented piece as the lip had some damage, I turned a shallow plate and made the sides the same shape as the foot of the vessel and then turned a bung to fit the live centre.
    Surprisingly it rotated spot on true which allowed me to adjust (remodel) the lip and make it look like it was intended to be that small.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:01:57 AM »
Hi Ed...a beautiful piece of timber and a good sized vase that must have been hard work to hollow out. May I be so bold as to make an observation of one thing that doesn't quite work for me? It's the collar, or more specifically, the way that it blends into the body and then rolls over at the rim. I would have preferred it to be more defined, with sharper transitions.
Les

Yes I agree, but what great piece of burr and finsh.