Author Topic: A couple of my turnings  (Read 3342 times)

Ryan Davenport AWGB

A couple of my turnings
« on: January 07, 2015, 05:07:44 PM »
just thought I would get some views on a couple of my turnings done yesterday and today, please let me know what you think, what can be improved on etc, all views good and bad welcome.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:18:29 PM by Ryan Davenport »

Ryan Davenport AWGB

Re: A couple of my turnings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:09:59 PM »
Last

Offline Buzzbee

• iron
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »
Resize them so they can be viewed properly if you expect meaningful feedback.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
Hi Ryan....As Buzzbee said, but perhaps a little less brusque, it would really help us to offer advise if you resize your pics so that they are easier to view. Another tip would be not to group so many things together in one post as it helps us to focus on individual items if they are on separate posts -  the occasional double-exhibit is ok, but a larger group like this makes things a little awkward, and when things are awkward, people tend not to bother.

On a brighter note, I can see lots of promise here. I'm not sure just how much turning you've done in the past, but you've clearly given a fair bit of attention to your finish. Yes, there's the occasional tool mark that could perhaps have been cleaned off or even sanded out, but I'd say you're moving in the right direction. With time, you'll pick up lots of tips about design and perhaps the simplest that I can give you now, is to try to form a single, sweeping curve around the inside of this sort of bowl, rather than a flat internal base.

One word of caution...the little candle stick does not have any sort of non-flammable liner, which is required by trading standards offices all over UK. This is quite important, and if an organisation such as the AWGB is going to have its members' work displayed on its forum, then it's quite important that safe practices are portrayed.

If you can get those pics resized, I'm sure you'll get loads more feedback.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »
as Les said basicaly,it looks like your fairly new to turning and going in the right direction,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »
Ryan it is always nice to view other people's work, thankyou for posting.
Looking at the last 4 pictures,the last 2 of the bowls, I would prefer a more continuous curve to the outside with maybe a slighter smaller diameter base. I would like the inside to follow the outside curve but maintain the curve right across the bowl, Flat bottomed insides are notorious for humps or dips in the middle and you appear to have achieved that as the rest of us did in our early days. The finishes look good but you should pay more attention to removing tooling marks before applying a finish.
  The first picture appears to be a candlestick, possibly for a tea light? again a few minor design and finishing issues but otherwise not bad.
I am unsure about the pen, not sure if mixing the woods work.What is the bottom piece? it looks like Luan or Meranti to me, not the best of turning timbers.
but again the finish looks OK.
well done.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:47:38 PM by The Bowler Hatted Turner »

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »
I have to say that they are better than m first turnings. Well done
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Yes it was for a tea light, the smaller bowl is 5" tulip wood and the other is 7" sycamore, thanks for the advice and info it is greatly appreciated, I'm not sure which is the best was to resize the images as I poste on my iPad, sorry.
I picked up a nice piece of leadwood today 4" diameter by2" (square) high just plucking up the courage to have a go as the guy said (after I had brought it) it was hard to turn, any advice? I also at the same time got a beautiful piece of spalted beech 8"diameter by 5" high (bowl) and a piece of masasa 5" diameter by 2" high.
Thanks once again,
Ryan

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
if you can get Google on your I-pad then you might be able to download Piccasa to shrink the pic sizes and its free.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »
Hi Ryan  --  You may need to resort to Tungsten for the Leadwood or you will be sharpening after every cut, it is very hard --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:10:18 PM »
Ok thanks for the heads up, I had a feeling it would "kill" my tools  :'(