Author Topic: Pot of Gold  (Read 4394 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Pot of Gold
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »
Something different for me had a go at decorating after a demo at our club last week

360mm x 200mm old bit of badly split oak that was for firewood  :) :) :)

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Pot of Gold
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »
I really like what you have done though I would like to know how you did it. Only thing I would do differently is perhaps have the base without the 3d gilding? Personal opinion and no doubt others will differ.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »
I really like that finish !!  Probably the best new thing I have seen for quite some time !! And like above would like to know what it is  , my guess would be something like hot melt glue ?  what ever it is, it is great and has potential for application in other work , is it original or have you seen it elsewhere ?    The black background is just right for this .. I hope you are not going to patent this !!! lol   Terry .
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:38:49 PM by TWiG »

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »

A very striking and different effect  .... I wont ask how its done Ed, ;) :)

Di and Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:11:20 PM »
Thanks All

It came from a demo at our club last weekend, and I've done my own thing base on the demo. I'll have a chat with the guy who did the demo to make sure he does not mind me sharing this process I think that only right.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
Hi Ed....I do hope that you don't take this the wrong way......but I'm a guy who's into the natural beauty of wood, with all it's warts intact. I can just get my head around the use of colour and texture, but only when the grain shows through. For me, this one goes too far because the applied art takes over completely (or certainly appear to from the photos), so the groundwork for the art could just as easily be clay, plastic or metal.
Having said all that, I quite like the effect, but I think I'd like it more if I could see some wood.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
Les

I'm with you I think if we are woodturning then it should be wood, as you quite rightly say it could be anything under this and in this case it's a plain piece of oak that split and cracked all over the place so it was due for the firewood pile.

I tried it after seeing the technique at the club last weekend, the guy who gave the demo (BJ Norman) uses the process when a wet turned piece fails his thought process is that he's turn the wood stored it for a year or more and it splits to a state where it should be firewood so he saves it.

And Les never worry about me taking things the wrong way we all have an opinion and if I didn't want the feedback I just would not post it  :)
 :)

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »
I basically agree with Lrd but since it was firewood anyway nothing has been lost. Tixt the superglue and this you are turning into a right 'son of Wedgwood' Ed. ( which is meant to be a compliment :) )
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »
I very much agree with  Les above , about liking to see the wood and all its beauty , but not all wood is that interesting , and as turners we are always seeking the most dramatic wood we can find ... Burrs, spalting etc .. however having things such as  texture and colour in your skill set helps to make a relatively plain piece of wood a lot more interesting  ( saleable !) However I personally ( like you say ) like to see that the object is indeed is made from wood  !!  The finish on Eds pot I think would look good combined with a wood finish such as , perhaps on the outside of a deep tall studio type bowl with a natural wood interior for example     Terry...

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
I was for many years the most prolific supporter of RaB (round and brown) turning. But as the years move further toward my dotage I am now a firm convert of painting and decorating our work.
          I really do like this as each piece you make will undoubtedly be individual, this could be a signature piece.
Well done!!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »
Well Ed,

I've looked and looked at this piece and am happy to report I can't spot any firewood in it now.

Like those above, I do think this is stunning and eagerly await you gaining permission to let us into the secret of how that embossed web was created.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »
Hi All

Well I've spoken with BJ Norman he's the guy who demo this technique. BJ is the woodturner that should take all credit for this finish.

After speaking with him last night he had no problem with his ideas being shared, like many of us his thinking is that firstly about the woodturning and the sharing of knowledge.

It's been worked out by you Terry hot melt glue, paint and Chestnut gilt cream.

I think that it's only fair to share some of BJ's work with you for those who do not know him.

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »
Wow. Some spectacular stuff.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?