Author Topic: Playing with texture....  (Read 2344 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Playing with texture....
« on: May 05, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »
I really like it when an object appeals to more than sense, so when something is both aesthetically pleasing and tactile.  With that in mind I decided to try a bowl that has both.  this one is fully rounded on the base and slightly off balance to give it a slight lean.  The inside is very smooth and polished.  The outside is textured with the grain.....not massively, just enough to give it a feel.

Obviously nothing new in this, but I'm enjoying the experimentation  ;D ;D

Elm (what else!), about 5.5" x 2"

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Playing with texture....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »
Chris I quite like this, the texture looks a bit like leather which is fine by me. A nice piece. Enjoy the journey.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Great that you've left it round on the bottom....let it roll! Out of interest, what have you used to texture the bottom?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
thanks folks, glad you like it, I've been stroking it all day  :o

The texturing....I sanded to 400 to make sure there were no sanding marks and then went at it with a wire brush (bought to clean the plugs on my first ever car, a Vauxhall Victor 1800 which cost me £50......this is probably the first time I've used it since!). 

I soaked the bottom in water several times to soften it but it still took a good 30 mins of brushing to get even the lightest texture.  I then sanded with 400 again to smooth it out and waxed to leave a smooth but textured finish.

Would love to give it a go in a sand blaster but that will have to wait a while......swmbo insists that getting the brakes fixed on the car is a financial priority.....  ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
Used a wire brush on oak and ash but not thought to do it on other woods. The effect is lovely and soft  looking, Have you thought about making a separate base for it to sit in?  It can be placed in any position then? Something like this.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
See, now you’ve gone and done it…

…first you got bitten by the turning bug, you’ve let that develop into a footless ‘rocking’ bowl, and now you’ve gone and let the extra decoration bug nip at you as well.

You’re already thinking ‘Sand blasting’, next it will be I’ll just try some colour, then piercing and carving look fun, then… well it never ends once you start experimenting and exploring just where you can take this.

Don’t stop now, John (BHT) says it looks like leather and I agree. Your description says how long it took you, more of your time awaits the next piece you decide to do that ‘something more to.’

One thing I’ll say is now you’ve started trying this, mistakes that would have normally gone in the bin become something to try new ideas on, good or bad. So post your experiments and we’ll enjoy the journey with you.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
....Would love to give it a go in a sand blaster...
Don't know where you're based, Chris, but if you're anywhere near north Wales, you're welcome to call in and have a go at sandblasting. I've used it to soften the texture of a few bowls and it gives a lovely, velour feel to the wood.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »

Elm .. an textured, I hand brushed a piece once .. didn't get it to look like this ..  :'( .. well done, if it has a look of anything I'd go for crocodile skin.

Do like it.  Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:07:22 PM »
Chris the wire brush has given your round bottom bowl a great look  :)

Keep going with the experimenting it's great fun  :) :)

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Thanks all, glad it's gone down well.

Not sure about a separate base for this one as it sits quite nicely but I do like the concept.

Easy, Bryan, I'm trying to keep it under control.....you're not helping ;-)

Les, thanks for the offer, much appreciated.....I'm in the Staffs Moorlands so a couple of hours from you.  May take you up on it sometime but really need to concentrate on getting the basics right before I get too far distracted !

Thanks Ed & David, much appreciated.

Chris <heads out to the workshop........>