Author Topic: Treatex / Danish oil  (Read 4584 times)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Treatex / Danish oil
« on: June 27, 2015, 07:58:13 PM »

Treatex ... Danish Oil...  Comparison.
 A couple of platters to show the advantages of using Treatex Hard Wax Oil Against Just Danish Oil.
 The light one has 2 coats of Treatex... The dark one 3 coats of Danish Oil. A big problem with using normal oils on porous wood
 ( theses are brook alder from the same lump of wood ) is that it soaks in too much sending the porous woods too dark. Elm as an
  example. Yes I know you can put a coat of sanding sealer on first but does that give you the protection you require.
 Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Treatex / Danish oil
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
Damn, that's another finish I'll have to buy sometime?

Nice comparison for finishes, I'd never of guessed they were the same wood.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:56:35 PM »
I have got some treatex and never tried it I must give it a go
Did you use the hardener with it Tony.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:46:32 PM »
 Thanks Bryan.... It does depend on what you are after regarding finish.... Thought I would post these to give a comparison,
 but on harder ( denser ) woods you cannot see much difference.
  Tony

Did not know there was a hardener George..... Just a thinner 15% treatex thinners. It was got for coating Yew to seal it & stop it
 going dark through oxidisation, but me & Tom (flames / Phoenix ) found we could not get a good finish on such a dense wood
 smearing. But a good finish can be got  on most other woods with a cloth or brush. Also you can apply the second coat within the hour, which speeds up the whole process. This can then be buffed the next day. Also the makers say it is resistant to water.
 Tony

PS George use it sooner rather than later it can go a bit thick.
 Regards Tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:27:27 AM »
Like Bryan I would have never guessed that this was from the same piece of wood.

Just goes to show as woodturners what we can do by just playing with oil.

Nice pair of platters  :)

Ed

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »
I recently used Treatex as a finish on some oak parquet floor and for some walnut worktops. From what I read in the manufacturers recommendations, the hardener is used for floors which receive heavy traffic to extend the life of the finish so unless you are planning on doing lots of walking on your platters, they probably don't need the hardener!

The manufacturers recommend the thinner for dense exotic timber to improve finish penetration for flooring.

The first coat tends to soak in and leaves the surface looking a bit patchy but let that dry for 24 hours then put on the second coat and the result is much more even. Also worth trying is to put the finish on then wipe of the excess before it gets too tacky. It leaves a very natural looking surface which is sealed and waterproof with little build of the finish.

andersonec

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
You can stop almost any change in colour by first using Treatex 'clear' followed by Treatex 'natural'

Andy

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
Hi Tony.....impressive result! I see that it is available in gloss, matt or satin - just wondered which finish you used in your test.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:43:47 AM »
 Thanks For The Comments Guys.

Hi Les.... I got my first sample of Treatex from the Late (sadly missed ) Mark Raby about 3 years ago. After talking to Mark, I then
  had a long conversation with the makers who were very helpful and got all the blurb from them. It was my mate Tom (flames ) 
  who actually got the oil from Amazon (cheapest at the time ) I think it was the Gloss but can not be sure, I decanted it straight
  away to stop the whole lot going off. I have been using it mainly on Spalted woods.... have found you do not get the matt.. gloss
  patches all over, with the different densities of the woods. It can also be used on most woods, we posted Simply Pine (page 11 )
  earlier and think it shows the grain off quite well.
  Thanks Les..... Regards Tony

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »

Thanks Tom...... was unsure on both counts.... hence.... About and  Not Sure.

Thanks Paul.... I will try thinning the first coat more a bit later.  Trying to up date the website at the moment
  and only got half way through. :)
   Thanks Again
    Tony

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »
-wasn't correcting you, 2 years ago was when I bought the big tin of it, I was surprised how long ago it was.  :)

I first tried it on Yew - very unsuccessfully, wish I hadn't experimented on such a big piece. Used it on Ceder, worked well, but masked the nice smell of the wood, though that did fade eventually.

Good stuff, but expensive. I see Screwfix now sell Liberon Hard Wax Oil, little cheaper, don't know if it's any cop though.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »

Did these after above post...1 coat of treatex applied then wiped off.... 2nd coat applied with in the hour and also wiped off.
  They have not been buffed. Spalted Elm and 2 spalted Beech.
   Tony