Author Topic: Radius Gauge  (Read 3988 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Radius Gauge
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:07:52 AM »
I've  inherited a couple of Radius Gauges (that were obviously stored in less than ideal conditions by the original owner) and the leaves have rusted a little and stuck together.

Can anybody suggest how I  could  bring them back to usable condition, please?

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Radius Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
Electrolysis can be quite effective in removing rust. You make a sacrificial anode out of a metal rod and your rusty object becomes the cathode. A car batter charger works as a power source and the electrolyte can be washing soda in solution.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:37 AM »
Soak them in diesel.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:15:41 PM »
Any chance of a picture. From your description (the leaves have rusted a little and stuck together) they fold out from a pivot, something like feeler/thickness gauges.

If that is the case, I'd go with George's suggestion of Diesel but add Kerosine (50/50) to thin it out and help it penetrate.

Something thin like a scalpel to slip between the leaves and separate them (little by little) and re-soaking would help as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
Any chance of a picture. From your description (the leaves have rusted a little and stuck together) they fold out from a pivot, something like feeler/thickness gauges.

If that is the case, I'd go with George's suggestion of Diesel but add Kerosine (50/50) to thin it out and help it penetrate.

Something thin like a scalpel to slip between the leaves and separate them (little by little) and re-soaking would help as well.

I  searched for a photograph but the style seems to be discontinued.

I've  now put  the gauges in an ultrasonic bath with Restore (from Shield Technology) and am waiting to see if that does the trick.

MC