Author Topic: Seminar exhibits  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Seminar exhibits
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:09:10 PM »
Here are some of the pieces I took to Loughborough.

The copper clad vessel is ash, coloured, copper waxed, with copper sheet, riveted to the surface with copper rivets.

The platter is rippled sycamore, coloured with airbrushed acrylics.

The pebble enclosed bowl is beech, base coated with a few coats of gesso, coloured with airbrush acrylics and cut back to the white base in places.

The she oak hollow form is self explanatory!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Seminar exhibits
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
Paul thanks for posting these. At the show I was particularly drawn to the one clad in copper, i was experimenting with a similar concept a while back using drinks cans. I did not have a great deal of success with mine due to differential shrinkage but yours is done differently and obviously a better system. when you say copper rivets are they rivets nailed in?I was not tall enough to see inside at the show hence the question.
All 4 pieces are top notch.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
Hi John,
The rivets are actual rivets which are used from one side like nails would be. The wood and copper is pre-drilled slightly smaller than the rivet diameter so the rivet holds tight when it is hammered in.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »
Paul,

I like the Mondrian platter but it's the Copper Clad vessel that wins it for me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
I have a few other ideas of things to do with the copper sheet and possibly other metal sheet too. Hopefully I will have a little more leisure time from next month when I escape from doing the membership secretary job!  ;D