Author Topic: windows 10  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
windows 10
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
downloaded windows 10 yesterday,couldn`t get into pc,as it didn`t load properly,so had to press buttons till net came up and could find a fix,finaly done that,now working wonderfully,seems it didn`t load properly the first time,some sort of error can creep in while loading,did a rest in safe mode and here I am back online,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »
Gritted my teeth and downloaded it as well. Went like clockwork and apart from the usual getting used to a different layout it is faster than it has been since I bought it 8 years ago.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
It completely buggered my computer and the computer man took an hour and twenty minutes to put it right. Something else that was a bit of an eye opener was by downloading it you agree to let loads and loads of organisations take info from your computer.
Graham who sorted mine out blocked them and I was amazed how many there where.
Apparently a lot of people have had problems and their computers have lost all of their stored info something to do with memory partition or something.
I know someone who was downloading it and their screen went blank and the computer was dead

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »
Hmm, maybe you guys should all consider converting to Debian, Ubuntu or Mint(all different types of Linux, very user friendly and free of charge). I have converted my entire house to Linux, and never had any troubles with updates, upgrades and the likes. Virus protection is free and works.

There is a bit of a learning curve to go through, but there are plenty of internet resources to help with that. And I'd be happy to give advice where needed.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:55:57 PM »
An apple a day keeps the problems away !!
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »
I won't download Win 10 - read too many things about it I don't like. It's about a dozen court cases waiting to happen. George only touched the tip of the iceberg in his reply.

I love Mint, a great Linux Disto but I do have to run Win 7 (64 bit) as well as I have one program that only runs on that or higher.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
George you can block all that happening,it gives you choices when you download,but there is a bug in the system with the download for some older PC`s .
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:31:59 PM »
My computer is about six months old so that was not the problem.
Yes Erick you are right and that is what Graham the computer man did.
What he did say however that most people would not know how to block all these things.
It stopped Utube from working buggered all my settings there was no way an ordinary person could have sorted all the problems it gave me
It also stopped me being able to print.
What a nightmare

Regards George

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
I just upgraded one of my laptops from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and so far I prefer it to 8.1 but I'm not yet sold on switching from Windows 7 on my other PCs.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »
I've Norton on this windows 8 notebook and their on to take their upgrade for windows 10 .. Just open my other notebook with Windows 7 to use scanner (won't work on 8) ..  message both norton (as above) AND "microsoft recommends that you reserve your copy of windows 10" ..  COPY ..

8 on this notebook has Firefox crashing ...as well, suddenly everything can close, then message not to turn off as up dating ....  :o  .. have to go to settings each time to start .. not recalling all that happens.

Vista was always good never any problems .. 7 had been fine ... 8 has/is playing up... rock the boat .. their plans are just, in time (sooner) to have 10 take over ... one morning we'll turn on to 10 ... no option, all to the new one world order.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:36 PM »
Thomas Lance said (rather ungrammatically - but he was an American) “if it ain't broke, don't fix it” and that seems to be very sound advice as far as computer upgrades are concerned.

MC

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
I had XP and was very happy with it then I had to buy a new computer and Windows * was on it and they kept suggesting I upgrade so I thought that was the thing to do.
It is sorted now but if I had known the problems I was going to get I would have left it.
Having said that I did not like 8 either.

Regards George

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
Why is there always a need to upgrade? why not carry out improvements to the existing systems that people are familiar with? The programmers could then concentrate on important things like increasing security and stopping spam (or pork luncheon meat)

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »
Why is there always a need to upgrade?...

Because the software manufacturers want to sell more software to the gullible public!

MC

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 10:13:07 AM »
Wake up John you should have realised. ::) ::) ::)

Regards George