Author Topic: Axminster club member discounts  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Axminster club member discounts
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
Does anyone know anything about these ? I cannot find any info on their site.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Axminster club member discounts
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
Hi Graham,

I am not sure if this is true of all clubs but I know several in our area have a 'deal' with Axminster whereby the club gets a discount on items in the Woodturning section of their catalogue. However there are a few criteria to this. The order has to be for more than £100, and it has to be placed by the club. Club members cannot get the discount themselves. In particular, a club member can't just wander into one of their stores and expect to get the discount. I won't say what discount is offered in case that varies from club to club, but it is worth having. Hope that makes sense.

In my club, as the secretary, I keep a 'rolling' shopping list. Members let me know what they want and that is added to the list. As soon as it gets over £100 I phone the order through, paying with the clubs debit card and the items are delivered to our club venue.

The main downside to this is club members don't know when their items will be ordered as I have to wait to get to £100. If a club member needs something urgently, they have to make the choice, get it immediately at normal price or wait and get a discount.

If your club doesn't currently have a deal with Axminster may I suggest you ask them to do so, as you've got nothing to lose.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »
Graham,

If you go to the main AWGB Website and the Menu Option for About Us then Corporate Members, all the the compaies that offer us a discount are listed,+

for convienience - http://www.awgb.co.uk/corporate-members/
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
Hi Brian.
I have seen that page but all is says is that discount is offered at club level......a little vague.

Hi Paul. I should've made it clear. It is the club aspect I am interested in. I am now on the committee for Didcot Woodturners and we do not have any arrangement. I am just trying go find out how it all works. What you have said is very useful, thank you.
Regards
Graham

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »

Graham,
            The Posting by the Secretary of Derwent Woodturning Club is what you need to take notice of first of all contact Axminster an ask them to send you a form so you as a club can Register this form requires your name and that of your clubs Chairman you will be given a separate customer
number which must be used when purchasing equipment and the discount only applies to that equipment that is in the Woodturning pages of the Catalogue you get 10% of lathes etc. and 15% of anything else. ;D
                                                                                      Regards John   
John Smith

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:18:41 PM »
Hi Graham,
we have the same arrangement as Derwent at Sheffield Woodturning Club. Like Paul I won't say what the percentages are except that Woodturning machinery is 5% less than other Woodturning items. The discounts are certainly worth having on larger purchases In our experience, all orders are raised by and typically delivered to a designated contact so you need to think about receiving and distributing purchases.

Cheers
Rick

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »
Many thanks for the information everyone.

Cheeky but I am now wondering if the 'club discount' on turning items ( lets say some pen kits ) is on top of the 10% you would get for buying 10 or more of the same thing.
Regards
Graham

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »
I bought my latest lathe through my club from Axminster and got a 15% discount,I think it was 10% for being an AWGB member and 5% for being in a club,from what I remember,hope this helps,Regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
Axminster do a club discount but the club has to nominate an individual (treasurer, secretary or whatever) as the person who will raise all the orders with Axminster. They quote 5% on lathes and 15% on anything else in the woodturning section of the catalogue (not that they have a catalogue any more!) so it's always worth asking what else they will discount as part of the club deal. I'm not sure if there is a minimum order any more. There used to be but I think they stopped that.

Given the space provided on the web page, it's difficult to explain the ins and outs of all discounts offered by suppliers - some weren't even able to explain them to me in a way I could understand so I think the best advice is to ask the supplier!