Author Topic: Rotten Endgrain Bowl  (Read 5714 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Rotten Endgrain Bowl
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »
Eric I think I would possibly try bleaching it. For me the colour is wrong. I know this is a particular style of turning but I also feel that the walls need to be thinned down a bit. I would also like to see the area that appears to have the broken bit missing worked somehow, maybe pyroed or somethiing. But as always it is a personal and subjective thing, what is the saying? I know nothing about art but I know what I like!
        As we all value each and every piece of wood that comes our way we are always striving to get the biggest piece made from it and sometimes a step back needs to be taken and possibly cut the wood to give the most attractive grain detail or emphasise some other prominent (and attractive) feature.
That's my five bob's worth anyway.  :D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 08:01:48 PM »
All I can think of is to go down the tried and tested route of putting it on a base where it can find it's own balance (you need to remove the flat base though).

Something like a large flat piece of Cotswold stone or similar yellowish colour, but certainly certy unfinished, to maintain then rustic effect. With it then sitting at an angle, it becomes more than a bowl.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:42:15 PM »
Brian thinks like me LOL. Stop thinking of it as a bowl and look at it from fdifferent angles, Would it benefit from having something perfectly formed inside it perhaps?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »
Brian thinks like me LOL. Stop thinking of it as a bowl and look at it from fdifferent angles, Would it benefit from having something perfectly formed inside it perhaps?

Pete
Perfectly formed £20 notes would work I expect!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 10:13:21 PM »

Pete
Perfectly formed £20 notes would work I expect!   ;D ;D ;D

Pretty sure that'd do the trick LOL.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 09:42:53 AM »
thanks for the input gents,£20 notes sound good,but how much extra would you have to charge for each £20 note ;D ;D ;D ;D
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »
Ok,so I went away to my workshop and had a think or two,as I had no internet for two days and came up with this,I think it looks better,you lot will probably still think its crap but hey ho,so what I did first was put it back on the lathe and thinned it down to around half an inch thickness,I also rounded off the base,then I cut a vee shaped piece out and shaped it to become a stand for what is left,the piece left was then reshaped,both pieces then re-sanded,the new base all over,the re-shaped bowl on the outside to 120 grit,then I dyed the base with bright yellow dye and the bowl was sprayed with red dye,cheers,  Eric.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
Nah, yer cheet'n. That's not the same bowl!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
cheers for that Brian ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D