Author Topic: Asian Tea  (Read 2462 times)

Mike Gibson

Asian Tea
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
Asian Tea is made from Pear and stands approx. 9" high. A few people on this forum have in the past said they did not like some of my work painted or textured etc, as the could not see the wood. So l made this one just for them  ;)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Asian Tea
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »
That's rather fine, Michael. I'll bet that the joint between the spout and the body of the pot took some fiddly work!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:03:25 PM »
Mike,

The balance in this piece is amazing.

Why do you always work in pear, I think Bradford Pear. I have learnt that it is used in some musical instruments, especially where moisture is involved, such as Mouth Organs, as it is unaffected by the damp, but what is it about pear that make you use it so much.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mike Gibson

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:17 PM »
Mike,

The balance in this piece is amazing.

Why do you always work in pear, I think Bradford Pear. I have learnt that it is used in some musical instruments, especially where moisture is involved, such as Mouth Organs, as it is unaffected by the damp, but what is it about pear that make you use it so much.
  I use a lot of Bradford Pear because first there is plenty around here especially after a storm they have a tendency to split and are taken down. It has a dense close bland grain which is ideal for texturing/pyro etc.  It is wonderful to turn while green, and if you get it right during the drying process it becomes very stable.

Mike Gibson

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
That's rather fine, Michael. I'll bet that the joint between the spout and the body of the pot took some fiddly work!
Les

Thanks Les, Yes that is the part that takes all the time.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
Re: Asian Tea, great balance
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »
Well done! Ornate and delicate at the same time not easily achieved. The choice of Pear is good as it allows everything else to come through.

I hope my wife doesnt see this she will want one :)

Richard Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:44:55 PM »
another beauty always a pleasure to see your work!