Author Topic: Gouge handles  (Read 1894 times)

Nige7

Gouge handles
« on: January 08, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
When making gouge handles is it necessary to put any sort of hole up the end that is going to get the chisel or is it a 'heat the tang and burn it in' job ?  Some sort of starter hole would surely help and if needed what is the technique for getting a coaxial hole in the handle/  Is it done before or after the turning?

Help please :)

Nigel

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Gouge handles
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »
Hi Nigel,
Yes you will need to drill a hole first but drill it slightly undersize so the tool is a tight fit. For tools with tapered tangs you will probably need to drill a stepped hole using two or three different sized drills.

I usually drill the hole before turning the handle and use that to centre the blank between centres so that way you are guaranteed to have a concentric hole.
When finally inserting the tool into the handle, tap it in to get it started and then hit the back end of the handle with a wooden mallet, the inertia will make the handle start to move into the hole. Keep hitting until the tool is fully seated in the handle.

Nige7

Re: Gouge handles
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »
Thanks Paul.  I looked at my Record roughing gouge which seems to have a tang that is wide at the top and the handle seems to have had a couple of holes drilled alongside each other. it would make some sense to do this with another hole straight down the middle. I think I'll take the handle out before I finnish shaping it and put a hole in it :)

Nigel