Author Topic: Green wood - part finished bowl - best way to store until I can finish it?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline pointer2null

• iron
Got a nice peice of Oak - still green (cut down Thursday) and started turning it. So far there is no sign of the fairy and it's going well.

I ran out of time so it's about half done - almost correct thickness near rim but still thick towards bottom.

Whats the best way to store this until I can get back to it (hopefully in a day, but maybe several days)?

At the moment it's in a small bin full of it's shavings. But as I'm sat here I was wondering if storing it in water would be better?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
In the short term, water, or a waterproof membrane (like a tightly wrapped bin-bag) would be better. The purpose of storing a piece in dry shavings is to allow it to dry gradually, but you need to keep it as wet as possible until you finish.
Personally, I'd give it a good soaking with water and wrap it tightly in the bin-bag
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline pointer2null

• iron
Transfered from the bin of shavings in the shed to my stock pot full of water in the cupboard under the stairs. (much to the disguest of the other half lol)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
(much to the disgust of the other half lol)

Tell her she's just been enrolled into the wonderful world of woodturning widows!

Looking at the image you've posted, there is a Knot looking straight back at me, don't be to upset if it cracks through it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline pointer2null

• iron
If it cracks then fair enough. Was lucky to be asked to cut down a large oak branch that was overhanging the farmers field. I've got two large burls, three crotches and loads of logs. This bit was a crotch with a dead branch so after cutting back and back until there was no dead wood was left with this peice. Decided to start on this as it was the least good bit of all the wood I've saved (had to give half to the old man for firewood). Never turned oak before and never something as green as this.

If I get it finished before the f.u.fairy arrives I'll post a picture - cracks and all :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
I think that fairy must be busier than the tooth fairy!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!