Author Topic: Ceremonial Chalice  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Ceremonial Chalice
« on: June 11, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »
This has been an amazing commission to research, design and make. A ceremonial chalice, purely for decorative use, in the ancient and historic church of Saint Melangell, in Powys; just a short hop over the Berwyn Hills from where I live. The church is steeped in history and entered into Welsh folklore with the tale of a local girl, Melangell, who rescued a hare fleeing from a pack of hounds, by hiding it under her skirt. The church is also renowned for its ancient churchyard yews which have been confirmed as being over 2000 years old and have thus been awarded protected status. However, several huge branches fell in a storm a few years ago and i was commissioned to make a celebratory piece for the church, to acknowledge the history and mystery of its famous trees.
The chalice stands about 12" (30cm) tall and was made in two parts, simply because there wasn't a single piece of yew big enough to make it in one piece. In keeping with the nature of the commission, the chalice does not bear the semi-precious stones that many similar chalices have, rather, it has slate cabochons which I made from fragments of roof slate from the church's Priest House.

You can read my blog about the project, here....http://www.prenturners.co.uk/2017/06/11/ancient-yew-from-an-historic-church-blog5/.

Les

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:07:18 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Ceremonial Chalice
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
A lot of turners decry goblets and chalices but like you I find them fascinating, also a good seller. Looks like this one has been well researched and love the slate cabuchons. Make sure that they are aware of the toxic nature of the wood whatever finish you have used, there have been a few cases of people dying from drinking wine from them in the past.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Very nice indeed but I feel it is a bit small at 3cm tall. ;D

It certainly looks the part for a church and will not be out of place, looks well turned and finished from here

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »
As Pete is hinting I think I am one of those that does not see anything in Goblets or Chalices. But this works for me not just because it is well made but because it is well thought out and has a real purpose and a great story behind it.
Very well done

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:11:29 PM »
Pete....the church fully understands that this is a purely ornamental piece.....it has the inevitable cracks of poorly kept and poorly seasoned yew, so they've no intention of using it.
Derek....thank goodness I didn't have to make it 3cm tall....that really would have been a challenge....thanks for pointing out my error; I have corrected it.
George...Your comments are very much appreciated; thank you.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »
Les,

I like this, not because it's Yew but because the stem reflects those goblets from the era of treen items. It's not just a smooth sweeping curve, it has all the shapes a spindle should have.

Also having read the Blog, I love your description of making the slate cabochons.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »

This one has quite a Celtic look to it and most certainly looks the part Les... very nice work.
  Kind Regards Tony Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:16:03 AM »
Les it's not just the woodturning when you post, it's the detail and thinking that you put behind the piece's.

I can see why you get theses sort of commissions and what a great job you do for your customers.

Another fine piece of work as well.

All the best

Ed