Author Topic: Yew Bowl  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Yew Bowl
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
I have been working on this Yew bowl for the last couple of days really enjoyed doing this one. It measures 13" X 8 1/2" X 3 1/2", I have just counted my fingers and they are all still there.

C & C welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Yew Bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 05:22:59 PM »
Commendably even thickness throughout the bowl and a good finish. I'm not a lover of high gloss, but that's just a personal taste.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:42:09 PM »
I am quite surprised you haven't lost any bits (of wood, not digits on fingers), This size yew, with cracks and all that, that's quite something. I can't see anything wrong with the workmanship or the shape, so full marks for that. It's just that I am getting a little tired of yet another end grain natural edge bowl. Probably just me, so feel free to ignore it.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »

Posts are becoming so few now a days it is nice to see you still posting..... A great looking piece Derek.... Very finely
 done on such a large bowl. Nice Work.

Kind Regards Tony Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
Pictures isappeared here but caught it earlier and it seemed a really lovely piece of work. As Georg said not so many posts, I'm as guilty as anyone.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:02:03 PM »
Thank you every one.

Les I kept stopping and checking the thickness as I went seen so many that don't look right if not kept the same thickness

Fuzzyturns plenty of CA glue after turning the outside and let it dry that is after I applied some sander sealer all over that first side to stop it staining. I think we all have our dislikes and no offence taken from me.

I went through a couple of weeks of not commenting when I was laid up as I was getting frustrated at not being able to get into the workshop. Also it is not just here that posts seem thin on the ground other forums seem to have the same thing.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:00:06 PM »
Derek, well done on keeping your fingers. You also said you'd been laid up, so i hope you are all recovered again now.

Looking at the bowl, Loud comes to mind. Not just the ultra-shiny finish but the colour  and grain in the yew, nicely done indeed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:01:54 PM »
Very nice well done

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
Thank you Bryan and George.

Derek, well done on keeping your fingers. You also said you'd been laid up, so i hope you are all recovered again now.

Looking at the bowl, Loud comes to mind. Not just the ultra-shiny finish but the colour  and grain in the yew, nicely done indeed.

Yes counted fingers every time I stopped all present and correct. Yes feel a lot better can now stand for longer periods still stop for short breaks but is that the back or just an excuse for a tea break ;).
Was not sure about the finish but the wife likes it so will leave it as is, it certainly made the grain stand out.