Author Topic: What next  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
What next
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
Well, I think that the next step to working with this is to give it a good pressure wash to get rid of as much mud, dirt and stones before I start to decide to cut it. Not having done a root ball is it best to hold it by the trunk end and make that the bottom. Which I would have thought is the best way for the stability of the piece.
If I remember correctly I believe it is an ornamental fruit tree of some kind cherry possibly last picture show leaves. This took the complete day to remove which would have taken a couple of hours when I was younger

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: What next
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »
looks like a purple leaved plum you have there. never turned any myself but i'd love to see the colour of the timber.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
Clean any mud stones etc out then cut off any protruding bits. Be careful when turning as sometimes with root balls there are unconnected roots that can fly off. Use a bowl gouge to cut as you will find that it is very 'bouncy when turning at first and you will need the strength in the gouge.. To hold it on the lathe initially i would put it between centre with the trunk at the head but be aware that the drive will bite into the end grain so go slow and continually tighten as you turn.  Rough it down to a reasonable shape then you can see what you have and what you want to make from it. These can be a lot of work but if you are careful can produce some amazing pieces.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:49:41 PM »
Thank you both got some of the mud off today there still is some there but will wait for it to dry a little before carrying on then get the jet washer out and give it a blast. Then see what needs to be removed after the wife pops into screwfix for some more blades for the recip saw as I blunt the last one in the ground cutting the roots to get it out.