Author Topic: New member introduction  (Read 2841 times)

Gary_Claus

New member introduction
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »
Hello to all,

My name is Gary and I live in Clanfield in Southern Hampshire.  I am an amateur woodturner (very amateur) but very keen to improve.  I work overseas so do not get the 'shed time' I would wish.

I am 44 and grey - which is apparently a prerequisite for being a turner.

Many years ago I used to turn but family, space, money and work got in the way so stopped for a long while.  I used to visit the Forest of Bere Woodturners in Denmead along with a friend but haven't been for years.  I saw some wonderfully talented people and even wrote for their magazine a few times.

I use a Record Lathe with limited tools (more will come along as I progress undoubtedly) but have had some success with spindle turning which I favour and have also practiced on some decorative bowls and ornamental pieces.  I enjoy watching videos on youtube from masters such as Carl Jacobson and Blair Davis

Anyway - enough waffle - I look forward to interacting with you all on the interweb and being an active part of this community.

Gary 'the bot' Claus

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
Hi Gary, Welcome to the Forum I look forward reading your postings etc.Are you thinking of joining the Forest of Bere woodturners again.
                                                                      Regards John
John Smith

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
Hi Gary
Welcome back to addiction.
I always thought it was a straggly beard which was the requirement for turning success!
May I humbly suggest you keep your intended tool budget within a twice-zipped pocket. I, like most everyone I meet on here, have, in the past, been tempted to think that more lovely tools must mean better/easier/more successful turning whereas time has shown it is only practice, practice and then a little more practice that can possibly achieve that.
But, to quote your own words, enough of this waffle but I will just add that I look forward with some eagerness to being interacted with!!! ;D
All the best
Brian

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
Hi Gary,
             welcome.
John
BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:47:34 AM »

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the Forum and back to woodturning, I also have found many other things have and still get in the way of turning ....    :(

Limited tools will not limit as to what you can make, basic 5 tools as I started with was,  Roughing gouge 1" - 1 1/2",  Spindle (detail) gouge 3/8", Parting/beading tool 1/4", also Diamond Parting Tool 1/8", Standard (flat) skew chisel 3/4",  Bowl gouge 3/8" and a pair of Heavy duty scrapers square & round nose 1" - 1 1/2", should you need them for finishing bowls.   OK that adds up to 8..  in time, as well as seeing the latest must have or it can't be done any other way tool, the list will grow, first would be to add a Finger nail (long grind) bowl gouge should your current gouge be square ground, that's likely in 3/8" & 1/2" ....  I'll stop there..    ;D

Above all have fun, be safe at all time and we'll watch as to what you make.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Gary_Claus

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:30:15 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

When I ever return to the UK on a permanent basis I will certainly return to the FoB Woodturners.  I believe that you can only practice a technique once you have been shown it initially.  The only way to do that is to learn from the masters.  Its just like chess - you can only get better by playing a better opponent.

It would be nice to meet with a few local turners.  Tales of sheds, tea and pies to follow I hope.

I have been looking at some of the latest 'must have' tools including the Easy range of carbide tipped chisels and the Hunter range but there is nothing new under the sun and as you acknowledge its just practice that develops technique.  I am a Chef and I only need a few basic knives to prepare a meal.  I imagine turning is the same.

Thanks again for all your comments - the interaction has already begun!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell Gary.
It seems to me that as you're a chef who wants to turn and I'm a turner who likes to eat perhaps we should get together?? ;D
Best
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
Gary, I'd like to add my welcome to you as well, and while your living and working abroad - keep your eyes open for bits of interesting timbers, you'll thank yourself eventually.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!