Author Topic: Stupidity is dangerous  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Stupidity is dangerous
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »
.....Having unsafe examples of anything annoys me...

Very wise....in Education and Training circles it is a widely held belief that unsafe practices should never be shown, even in condemnation of them, because they form a powerful image in one's mind. The danger is that in ten years time, when one tries to remember how to do something, that image might come to the fore and one replicates it.

He should take up macrame.

Nowt wrong with macrame! :P

...precisely, which is why he should take it up!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
.....Having unsafe examples of anything annoys me...

Very wise....in Education and Training circles it is a widely held belief that unsafe practices should never be shown, even in condemnation of them, because they form a powerful image in one's mind. The danger is that in ten years time, when one tries to remember how to do something, that image might come to the fore and one replicates it.

He should take up macrame.

Nowt wrong with macrame! :P
I agre with what you have said Les,many, many, many years ago when I was being taught to be an instructor in the the armed forces we were always told to never demonstrate a wrong movement (in drills)  and to never demonstrate a dangerous operation of a weapon on the range (!?) We were told to reinforce correct procedure at all times. Regarding facebook all I can say is it is full of idiots who think they know best.

...precisely, which is why he should take it up!

Les

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »
I know things like this are not laughable in the sense of what happened but you do have to give it a chuckle thinking that he should have checked the security of the piece and then reading what he has printed on his top.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
Unfortunately it seems Darwin will not get his way this time, since he seems to have survived and therefore the gene pool will not be cleansed of this particular nonsense. In addition to the knock he got from the piece of wood, this guy deserves a serious slapping (on the same body parts). Quite unbelievable.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 05:25:13 PM »
Back of the head with a shovel springs to mind!! ::) ::)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 08:15:01 AM »
These type of videos really bug me for the reasons stated, recently I saw a guy demonstrating table saw kick back by using it to fire sharpened stakes across the workshop. Whilst we all make mistakes good practice minimizes the percentage. Darwins missing link is alive and well...........
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads