Author Topic: Remembrance Bells  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Remembrance Bells
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:45:08 AM »
For those who don't see my blog....here's something a little different.
The historic cathedral of St Paul's, in London, has just had its massive bells restored, which involved removing them from the belfry for the first time in 140 years. This week, they were returned to the belfry just in time to ring out at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow to mark 100 years since the end of hostilities in the First World War.
Here in the UK we have an ancient guild of woodturners, known as The Worshipful Company of Turners, and they support the Professional Register of Woodturners. Between them, they arranged the distribution to a few volunteer members of the Register, of blocks of elm cut form the old headstocks of the bells. Each woodturner used these blocks to make mini-bells and these will, in turn, be returned to the cathedral and sold in their gift shop to raise funds towards the cost of the restoration of the bells.
My apologies for the quality of the photos, as my three bells are currently in my window display and have had to be photographed through glass.
Here's a link to the full blog... http://www.prenbala.co.uk/2018/11/09/remembrance-bells/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:54:14 PM by Les Symonds »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Remembrance Bells
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:31:45 AM »
Lovely work. Well done :)

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »
Hello Les,
Nice one !
This is one of those win win things. I am sure that you enjoyed the making of the bells and the back story is brilliant. With Pren and the RBL in Bala people will make their own connections which is very supportive of our craft.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »
I like those Les and like the story behind them. I would have expected it to be Oak and surprised they used Elm so it goes to show never stop learning what different wood can be used for

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
Les,

in your window as a display in commemoration of today (11th Nov). I hope they have caused a few people to stop, look and reflect, and maybe even a few new customers walk into the shop.

Great work
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
Les,

in your window as a display in commemoration of today (11th Nov). I hope they have caused a few people to stop, look and reflect, and maybe even a few new customers walk into the shop.

Great work

The display did, indeed, cause many, many people to stop to read the info. Some of those ventured into the shop, which was fine, but by no means the point. What was very rewarding was the number of people who asked about the parade, wanting to know such things as where and when it starts. There was clearly a heightened sense of involvement this year, between the shops and the RBL.....long may that last!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Misa

• copper
    • Wolery Woodcraft
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
Absolutely lovely, and the story behind them is fantastic.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
I think eventually there will be nearly 50 bells on display in Carpenter's hall in London  which will be open to the public on 27th November. Well worth a visit.