Author Topic: Captains chair  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Captains chair
« on: January 13, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »
Finished my first project of 2019 - a chair for my wife. I adapted a version of a double bow-backed Windsor chair I had made previously, only to discover afterwards that versions of this design are often called a Captains chair.....how appropriate!
At least it gave me some much needed practice at turning spindles. It's made from all sorts of wood I had lying around - almost all of it has grown within a stones throw from the workshop. The seat is a piece of red oak, legs and back bow are ash, spindles in the back are sweet chestnut, and the undercarriage is oak. There are also two tiny walnut buttons, one at the each end of the arm (these were to cover a mistake, where the snail of my auger bit broke through the top of one end leaving a tiny hole which you couldn't really see, but could feel). C&C welcome.... (and please excuse the awful photo - I'll try find a better one)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Captains chair
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:11:58 PM »
Woodturners don't have mistakes Percy they have design opportunities and this is a classic example. Lovely looking chair and the buttons give it a lovely individual touch.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:34:41 PM »
There's a lovely sense of movement in the upper framework; it almost invites you to sink into it.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:52:20 PM »
 Hi Percy,
             What a beautiful chair it is one of the nicest I have seen and I would like to have a go at making one of these did you get the plans from anywhere or is this your own design.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »
My own design so no plans I'm afraid. I used bits of plans from lots of different sources to end up with the finished chair. The seat undercarriage is almost the same as James Mursell's contemporary double bow-back Windsor chair, and the seat upwards is my own design, with some inspiration from Peter Galbert's book, the Chairmakers Notebook. Having already made Windsor chairs from plans, I thought this time I would do my own thing. Thanks for your kind comments.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:21:40 PM »
A very nice chair and worth all of the effort that you have put into it.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 05:05:42 AM »
Blimey , Thats lovely , A talleted woodworker indeed , Well done , How did you measure your wife's rear end ? to make sure it was a good fit  :o

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 08:03:09 AM »
I've allowed extra space on the seat if she feels the urge to grow into it! I did get her to test the fit a number of times before I trimmed the legs down to make sure it was the right height though...that's the nice thing I find about making furniture for a specific person - you can fit it to them perfectly.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »
And very nice too. The pieces of wood may have been knocking around in the workshop but they all complement each other.

My wife complains that the rocking chair I made for her always has my 'bum' on the seat. I'm just about to embark on the next project which is a bar type stool for the workshop. Not so confident as you and I am just starting to draw some plans. I think my wife will have to wait for the next chair in the set!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:17:51 PM »
Some of the most comfortable chairs I've sat in are Windsor's, the shaped seat really works.

I'd love to have a sit in this one.

Your Good lady is very lucky, so well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 01:52:25 PM »
Hi
I like this for the simple reason its a mixture of styles a blend
Of the windsor style and the welsh stick chair it works great the elegence of the windsor and the form and style of the welsh stick chair .
The late john brown wrote a book about welsh stick.chairs in
That book.there is a photograph of a chair similar to yours
Which he called a library chair.